Log In

Reset Password

Youth teams off to rocky start in US cup tourney

All three of Bermuda’s youth football teams competing at the Dallas Cup in the US began their campaigns on a losing note.

The Island’s Under-13 national side were edged 2-1 by DFW Tejanos Premier while the Under-15s lost 2-0 to Celtic Harps on Sunday.

Zico Lewis converted the Under-13s’ sole tally from the penalty spot.

By press time yesterday, Bermuda’s Under-14 national team had also lost their opening match in the tournament 3-0 to local side Dallas Texans Red while both the Under-13 and 15 teams were scheduled to play their second matches in the tournament which attracts top youth teams from around the globe.

Despite the rocky start, head of the local delegation Mark Trott said he was generally pleased by the manner in which the youngsters had acquitted themselves on tour so far.

“I think people have really taken to the guys because they are absolutely surprised to learn that our players are younger than everybody else in their age groups. They don’t realise this until we actually tell them during the matches,” Trott told The Royal Gazette from Dallas yesterday.

“Most of the teams competing in this tournament have played in it maybe four or five times before, while this is our first appearance.

“But I think the guys have really settled in and played fairly well.”

Bermuda’s Under-13 national team are coached by Winston Trott jr and Troy Lewis, the Under-14 team by Mark Wade and Ray Jones while Maurice Lowe and Troy Harvey are in charge of the Under-15s.

The Dallas Cup concludes on April 8.