Log In

Reset Password

Breaking News: Bermuda "back in business tomorrow"

Bermuda will be back in business tomorrow with the airport open, buses running from 6 a.m. and ferries starting at noon.

But the majority of schools — with the exception of Bermuda Institute, which will open — will remain shut until Wednesday.

A press conference held by the Emergency Measures Organisation at 5.30 p.m. today heard that school buildings were still being assessed for storm damage and further announcements would be made.

Meanwhile, Bermuda Regiment soldiers, who have been cleaning up after Hurricane Igor, can expect to be stood down this afternoon.

Premier Ewart Brown told the media: “Of course, I’m proud of the team that helped us to be able to stand here today, after such a large hurricane, and be back in business.”

He said the Government server, which suffered some problems during the hurricane, was up and running again.

Public Safety Minister David Burch said the Royal Navy’s HMS Manchester was still on her way to the Island after a rough voyage, but was unlikely to be needed.

Earlier this afternoon the Causeway reopened - although lights have been installed to manage traffic flow.

It had been damaged during the storm with some walls down.

A Government statement said: "The EMO wishes to advise the public that as of 3 p.m. today, Monday September 20, the Causeway was reopened.

"After a thorough structural examination by Works and Engineering teams, the Minister of Labour, Home Affairs, David Burch, deemed the Causeway safe enough to resume service.

"Temporary traffic lights have also been installed to help manage the flow of traffic over the Causeway."

This morning Sen. Burch said Bermuda “seems to have dodged a bullet in a significant way,” with Hurricane Igor.

He praised Island residents for the way they handled the storm.

“I think they are to be commended. We’re so cavalier sometimes, but I think everybody took it seriously,” he said.

“There’s no injuries, no major damage, there was some minor criminal activity in the Country, breaking and entering. You expect it to happen but I’m surprised that anyone in their right mind would be out in that weather.”

This afternoon there were long queues as people waited to get across to St. George's.

A Belco spokeswoman said: “As of 6 pm, approximately 7,400 customers remained without power. There are five mainline circuits still out and we expect them to be restored tonight. We do caution, however, that our system will be unstable for a few days, as it suffered some major stresses. It is possible that a mainline circuit could go out again after it has been restored, but should be easier to reinstate, as the major repair work on it has been completed.

“Most of the remaining outages are branch lines, small pockets of customers and individual customers. By tomorrow afternoon, we will be able to provide a timetable for completing storm restoration. We do want customers to understand that these smaller jobs are time consuming, as they involve a lot of equipment and physical work. Again, we will provide a timetable for completion of all restoration by tomorrow afternoon and we are expecting that total restoration could take several days.”