Hospital staff work through the night
Hospital staff worked all night to help 19 people hurt in the Front Street horse stampede.
Injuries from the drama on Wednesday evening ranged from broken bones to concussions, lacerations and bruises.
The youngest victim was a seven-year-old boy, who suffered a broken collar bone, and the oldest was 73. Nine victims were tourists — four of them American — and the others local residents.
Fourteen people were rushed to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital in a fleet of ambulances with others described as walking wounded after the spooked horses ploughed into a dense crowd at the Harbour Nights event.
All but one — a female visitor to Bermuda — had been released from hospital yesterday. According to plastic surgeon Dr. Christopher Johnson, speaking on Hott 107.5 radio, she suffered the worst injuries, which were two broken arms and a broken leg, plus a partially detached ear.
Executive vice president of the Chamber of Commerce Diane Gordon said yesterday: “She has undergone surgery and has to undergo surgery again.” She added that the woman — who has not been named — was expected to remain in hospital “for several weeks” and her son was due to arrive on the Island last night.
The patient’s condition was described as “stable” by a hospital spokeswoman.
Dr. Edward Schultz, Director of Emergency Medicine at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, said some of the patients his team treated were brought in unconscious or with concussion, and some needed surgery for their wounds.
“There were a lot of soft tissue injuries, lacerations, abrasions and bruises, a few people had either bruised or fractured ribs, and there were some patients with broken arms,” he said.
“The vast majority had relatively minor injuries, and I want to emphasise that there were no serious head, chest, abdominal or spinal injuries.”
The hospital has a disaster plan to call in staff after major incidents. However, Dr. Shultz said this did not need to be put into swing after the incident at 7.30 p.m, because staff from the day and night shifts were both around ahead of their regular 8 p.m shift change. They were led by four emergency doctors and three house doctors, plus Dr. Johnson. “The day staff stayed on although they’d already worked all day. The staff did a fantastic job,” said Dr. Shultz, explaining that four or five people worked all night.
Two of the Americans who were hurt were passengers on the Empress of the Seas cruise ship which was docked in Hamilton harbour at the time.
Michael Sheehan, from Royal Caribbean Cruises, which operates the ship, said yesterday: “A couple from the US was injured. Both the husband and wife were bruised. The husband also suffered a broken ankle.
“Both were taken to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, treated and released last night, at which time they returned to the ship. The medical team onboard Empress of the Seas is overseeing their care now. They are recovering well and in good spirits.”
The vessel left Bermuda early yesterday morning.
