Nikki Bascome and Andre Lambe pick up the pieces after fight delay
Nikki Bascome and Andre Lambe have expressed disappointment over their postponed professional bouts that were scheduled to be held at Fight Night Champion at the weekend.
The local pair were due to face off with Jamaicans Kevin “Busboy” Hylton and Dwayne Lawrence at welterweight at the much anticipated and sold-out Epic Entertainment Bermuda versus Jamaica fight card at The Shed, in Dockyard.
However, the promoter was forced to postpone the professional bouts after the Jamaican contingent missed their connecting flight out of Canada.
The two bouts will now be held on June 25 at the same venue.
Bascome (10-1) prepared for the bout in Las Vegas training under former IBO super-featherweight champion Jeff Mayweather, and had been keen to showcase his skills in the ring again in the headline bout with Hylton (7-7-1).
“I have to say it was a bit disappointing,” Bascome told The Royal Gazette. “I had a great camp and would have liked to have gone into the ring after such a good camp.
“But things happen and I just have to stay positive.”
The 31-year-old has all but ruled out returning to Las Vegas to extend his training camp.
“At the moment I will probably just be training here for the fight,” Bascome added. “I don’t think I am going back to Las Vegas just because of the short notice. I am just going to make the best out of it by training here.”
Meanwhile, Lambe (4-0) was equally as disappointed over the last-minute postponement of his bout against Lawrence, who was meant to be making his professional debut.
“It’s always a disappointment when you are prepared for something,” he said. “I was excited just as much as everybody else to get back in the ring and put on a show, but it is what it is.
“But I know how the game goes and things happen, so I can easily just switch my energy to get ready for June 25 as well. I am just keeping the same energy getting ready.”
The 26-year-old southpaw is scheduled to depart for Orlando, Florida, at the weekend to continue his preparations at the Impact Boxing and Fitness Gym.
“Since the fight has been put off, we have decided that I am going to head out to Orlando to finish up the camp,” he added.
“I am just going to get some sparring with my guys to finish the camp out there and come back the week of the fight and fight.
“I am excited actually even more because I have been wanting to go back there since I fought out there [last July]. I am excited and going to be even stronger on June 25.”