Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Man found guilty of 1988 rape

A man convicted of the rape of a 15-year-old schoolgirl more than 30 years ago was warned by a judge last night that he faced “a significant period of imprisonment”.

Puisne Judge Carlisle Greaves added: “I think he should prepare himself for that.”

Mr Justice Greaves was speaking after a Supreme Court jury convicted Morris O'Brien, 53, of rape by a unanimous verdict after four hours of deliberation.

Mr Greaves then remanded O'Brien, from Pembroke, in custody for pre-sentencing reports.

The conviction came after prosecutors alleged O'Brien raped the teenager, said to be a family friend, in September 1988.

O'Brien was 23 at the time of the attack.

The victim, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, said earlier that on the night of the rape she was at home asleep in her bedroom with her sister when she heard a knock on the front door.

She told the Supreme Court she went to the door and saw O'Brien outside.

She said she told him that her sister was asleep and the rest of the family were out.

The woman, now 45, told the court he forced his way through the door, gripped her by the arms and pushed her into the living room.

She said O'Brien pushed her to the floor and raped her.

The victim added she blacked out during the attack and O'Brien had left by the time she recovered consciousness.

She said O'Brien “stalked” her after the incident.

The woman told the jury he waited at a gate she passed through on her way home from school on a regular basis.

The woman added, on one occasion, O'Brien gave her “a love letter”.

In the note, which was read to the court, O'Brien said he loved her and wanted to make love to her. The woman said she had told no one about the rape for almost a year.

Her mother told a police officer who was close to the family and he urged the family to go to a lawyer.

The family also applied for a restraining order against O'Brien, but the victim did not make a statement about the attack to police until April last year.

O'Brien told the court during the four-day trial that he had never raped the girl and that the night she described “never happened”.

He told the jury he had had “consensual” sex with the girl three times while she was underage.

O'Brien also admitted he had written the note.

He said he did not mention it when he was interviewed by police because he had forgotten about it.

It is The Royal Gazette's policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published February 08, 2019 at 8:00 am (Updated February 08, 2019 at 8:10 am)

Man found guilty of 1988 rape

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon