Fewer multiple family support warrants
One hundred and eighty-seven people have been served with a family support warrant this year after not paying their child support, revealed Senator Kim Wilson yesterday.
And one man and one woman are currently incarcerated at the Island's prisons as a result of child-support arrears.
She revealed the data in response to parliamentary questions posed by United Bermuda Party Senator Suzann Roberts-Holshouser.
The 187 people who were issued with a family support warrant this year reflected a slight increase from the 179 who were handed them in 2009.
However the amount of multiple warrants served to people had gone down this year compared to 2009, the data showed.
Only 43 people were given two warrants this year, down from 53 who received them last year.
Twelve people were issued with three family support warrants so far this year; while 14 people were given three in 2009.
This year only one person received four warrants for getting behind in their child support payments.
However last year five people were served with four warrants and one person was served with six warrants that year.
According to statistics released by Sen Wilson a total of 243 warrants were issued up to December 13, 2010; down from 252 last year.
Other parliamentary questions posed by Opposition Senator and Shadow National Security Minister Michael Dunkley were about the construction of 100 new housing units to be built on Ireland Island in Sandys.
The questions were not answered by Housing Minister David Burch who said the responsibility of the new housing units did not fall within his remit.
Sen Dunkley asked for a list of the general contractors or sub-contactors who have tendered bids for the new project.
He asked for their respective bid prices for the development, the names of the successful bidders, the details on the types of housing units to be built and the proposed rental costs or sale prices.
He also asked how many of the units would be apportioned to the Bermuda Housing Corporation and WEDCO and wanted to know how many Bermudians were on the 'housing wait lists' for the BHC and WEDCO at the end of each of the past four years.
Sen Burch also said the responsibility for WEDCO was not within his remit.
Last night Sen Dunkley said: “The non answer is typical, an approach consistent by the Government in the past, (who) only answer if they have to.
“In this case, perhaps during the next session, the questions could be redirected and we will keep trying to get answers and information that help us serve the people better.
“After all, this Government has a poor record of accountable and properly budgeted projects.”