Sandys man admits threatening to kill his mother
A 37-year-old Sandys man threatened to kill his mother and then caused thousands of dollars in damages to Hamilton Police Station following his arrest for the offence.
Tio Weeks admitted using threatening words against Rosemarie Weeks when he appeared in Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
He also admitted damaging the rear view window of a police car and the fire sprinkler system at Hamilton Police Station.
Crown counsel Nicole Smith said the broken car window will cost more than $1,000 to repair, and that the sprinkler system damage amounted to $4,199.
The offences all occurred following a visit to his mother’s West Side Road home on April 7.
Ms Smith said the defendant blamed his mother for “not helping him enough to accomplish things”.
He then left the residence, telling his mother and her boyfriend that he had a gun and that they “were all dead”.
Damages to the police car and the sprinkler system in the cell holding area were made following Weeks’ arrest.
“The entire area including the elevator shaft in the building was flooded,” Ms Smith said.
The total estimated cost of damages was $6,820. Ms Smith asked that there be an order for restitution with the sentence.
Weeks told the court he was extremely sorry for letting his anger get the better of him.
He said he was born in Ventura, California, and frustrated by the fact that he does not have a passport.
Weeks told the court that he doesn’t belong in Bermuda, and that he was angry at his mother for not sorting out his passport situation.
He said he’d been ordered to serve probation on previous convictions but he never got any help from probation officers.
Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner ordered a drug assessment and a social inquiry report with orders for Court Services to explain what happened with the previous probation orders.
The defendant was remanded in custody until his sentencing on May 23.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service