Thief threw DVD player into bushes when chased
A Ewing Street man yesterday admitted stealing a DVD player from a Pembroke business, only to throw it into bushes when pursued.
Raymond Robinson, 49, pleaded guilty to stealing the $70 device from PriceRite on Mill Creek Road.
Magistrates’ Court heard that at around 1.30pm on Saturday, a manager at the store saw Robinson pick up the DVD player and walk outside.
The manager followed Robinson, challenging him, and watched as Robinson threw the item into nearby bushes while attempting to flee. The player was recovered, but the court heard it was no longer in “sellable condition”.
Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner noted that Robinson has a long history of offences including a 2012 conviction for possessing drug equipment.
Robinson insisted he stopped doing drugs two years ago.
Said Mr Warner: “You are either going to have to submit for serious treatment or you are going to get locked up.”
The magistrate released Robinson on $2,000 bail on the condition that he contact Probation Services. He adjourned the matter until next month so a drug assessment and social inquiry report could be carried out before sentencing.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service