Log In

Reset Password

Traffic offenders banned from the roads

A Devonshire teenager who admitted a string of traffic offences has been taken off the roads for four years.

At a previous Magistrates’ Court appearance in July, Raheem Wray pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to a man by driving in a dangerous manner.

The 18-year-old also admitted causing grievous bodily harm by driving while disqualified and driving without a valid driver’s licence.

The court heard that the offences took place in Devonshire on March 8, when Police attempted to stop Wray, who was riding a motorcycle on First Avenue.

Wray accelerated, ran two stops signs and collided with a motorcycle, causing the rider of that cycle to lose several teeth.

Prosecutor Larissa Burgess today said Wray had shown some remorse, but did not accept that it was the manner of his driving that caused the collision.

Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo remarked that Wray had still been driving, with three new tickets in his name before the courts.

Wray admitted driving without a licence on July 14 and 25, and speeding at 93km/h on July 25.

Mr Tokunbo disqualified Wray from driving all vehicles for three years for causing grievous bodily harm by dangerous driving and another three years for driving while disqualified, with the sentences to run concurrent. He also disqualified him for another year for speeding, with that sentence to run consecutively to the three-year ban.

Mr Tokunbo said he would deal with the other tickets when Wray is back before the courts on another matter on October 28.

Also in court, 18-year-old Anthony Cherrington was banned from the roads for three years after he pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to a man by driving while over the legal blood-alcohol limit.

The Pembroke resident also admitted making a false statement to Police and failing to give his name after an accident.

The court heard that at about 11.20pm on July 30, Cherrington was riding his bike in the wrong lane on Harbour Road, near the junction with Salt Kettle Road, Paget, when he collided with a bike travelling in the other direction.

The rider and his passenger were flung off the bike, with the victim landing on the ground with his bike on top of his arm.

When he saw an oncoming car, the victim shouted to the defendant, who picked up his bike and began to walk away.

The victim’s passenger was able to stop the car and the victim, who suffered a fractured wrist, managed to free his arm and tried to follow the defendant.

Police arrived and the defendant, who was identified by the witnesses, told Police that his name was Andrew Collins.

As they spoke to him, the officers noted that Cherrington appeared to be intoxicated.

He was arrested and taken to Hamilton Police Station, where it was determined that he had 162mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood — the legal limit is 80mg.

Mr Tokunbo banned Cherrington from driving all vehicles for three years and handed him a $2,000 fine for causing grievous bodily harm by driving.

He also fined him $500 for making a false statement and $150 for failing to give his name.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.