Jail for disqualified driver
A 19-year-old St George's man has been fined and jailed for ten days for driving while disqualified.
Appearing in Magistrates' Court this morning, Marcus Rushe was sentenced for driving while disqualified on October 10 and October 24, as well as one count of speeding at 71km/h on Palmetto Road in July.
The court heard that Rushe had previously been taken off the roads on August 20. He was due to come back on the roads on February 19, 2016. However, he was handed a further two-year disqualification when he first admitted the above offences.
Rushe told the court today that he made a mistake and a bad decision. He said he drove because he was “making work”.
However, magistrate Archibald Warner told him that “once is a bad decision”, whereas the second instance was “absolute stupidity”.
He handed Rushe a $400 fine for speeding, a $500 fine for the first count of driving while disqualified and a ten-day prison sentence for the second count.
• It is The Royal Gazette's policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.