Log In

Reset Password

Pair remanded for separate thefts

A pair of thieves were remanded into custody this morning after they admitted separate offences.

Tracyston Mallory, 29, pleaded guilty to attempted burglary and stealing in connection to two separate incidents that took place on Saturday.

The court heard that at around 9am, Mallory was spotted going through the employee entrance of KFC, ignoring signs labelling it as trespassing to do so. While Mallory did not take anything from the restaurant, he later admitted in a police interview that he had trespassed with the intention of stealing.

Later that day, Mallory approached a woman from behind as she was entering Queen Elizabeth Park and grabbed her bag before fleeing down Par-la-Ville Road with the bag, which contained a phone and a wallet containing cash among other items.

Mallory later told police that he had sold the phone and taken the $40 that was in the wallet, throwing the rest away.

The court heard that Mallory had already been attending the Mental Health Treatment Court on a volunteer basis. As a result, Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo remanded Mallory into custody until the Mental Health Treatment Court next meets.

Also appearing in court was 42-year-old Kylah Stowe, who admitted one count of burglary and one count of theft.

The court heard that on December 30 last year, a Pembroke woman had an argument with her parents. After the parents left, Stowe and her boyfriend came to the house offering to console her.

The complainant however became concerned when she noticed that Stowe’s boyfriend had walked into her bedroom and told both to leave her house. Stowe then asked if she could use the bathroom.

Stone was reportedly in the bathroom for a prolonged period of time. When she eventually left, the complainant discovered that several items of jewellery — which had been hidden in the bathroom — were missing.

The second incident took place last Thursday. The court heard that at around 9pm, a Cobbs Hill woman heard a knock at the door and saw Stowe, who she had known for many years. They spoke for several minutes before Stowe left.

Hours later, at around midnight, the resident heard a quiet knock on the door. Moments later, she heard the blinds in her bedroom window being rustled. When she went to investigate, she found Stowe halfway through climbing in through the window.

Asked what she was doing, Stowe said she left her keys and some CDs in the house and wanted to use the toilet.

The complainant let Stowe collect her belongings and use the bathroom, but once the defendant left she discovered that two rings and a pair of earrings had been taken from her bedroom.

After hearing that Stowe had previously been enrolled into the Drug Treatment Court programme, Mr Tokunbo ordered an updated drug assessment and Social Inquiry Report.

He then remanded Stowe into custody until the next meeting of the Drug Treatment Court.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.