Drunk drivers banned
Two men have been fined and banned from the roads for drink-driving.
Appearing in Magistrates’ Court this morning, Jorge Navarro, of Pembroke, pleaded guilty to driving while over the legal blood-alcohol limit in Pembroke on Sunday.
The court heard that the 26-year-old was pulled over by police after officers saw him having “great difficulty” turning onto Parliament Street from Front Street and then taking a left turn onto Church Street and riding his motorcycle against the flow of traffic.
Navarro appeared to be intoxicated and it was determined that he had 181 milligrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood — more than twice the legal limit of 80 mg.
In court, Navarro asked to keep his licence, explaining that he looks after an elderly lady.
However, magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo pointed out that the offence attracts a mandatory disqualification.
He handed Navarro a $1,200 fine and banned him from driving all vehicles for 18 months.
In a separate matter, Ryan Fox was also fined and banned from the roads for driving while under the influence of alcohol in Pembroke on July 6.
The 47-year-old Pembroke resident also admitted disobeying a traffic sign on the same date.
Prosecutor Maria Sofianos told the court that Fox was stopped by police after he ran a red light on Victoria Street.
They noticed that he was unstable on his feet, his speech was slurred and his breath smelled of alcohol.
When asked if he had been drinking, he said: “Yes, I had two beers.”
Mr Tokunbo handed Fox a $100 fine for disobeying the traffic sign and a $1,200 fine for driving while impaired.
He also disqualified him from driving all vehicles for 18 months.
It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.