Reports ordered on man after police chase – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Reports ordered on man after police chase

Court reports were ordered on a Southampton man with a “horrendous” driving record after he admitted leading police on a high-speed chase while disqualified from driving.

Trovaughn Smith, 31, pleaded guilty to driving in a dangerous manner, driving while disqualified by the courts and refusing to provide a sample of breath in connection to an incident on June 23.

The court heard that at around 8.15pm that day, an officer was on mobile patrol on Spice Hill Road when he saw Smith driving at high speed.

The officer activated the police vehicle’s lights to pull over Smith, but Smith continued to speed down Spice Hill Road, forcing other vehicles to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

Smith eventually stopped the vehicle by the junction with Camp Hill Road, but he initially refused to turn off his vehicle when requested or step out of the vehicle.

He then suddenly turned the car back on and sped away, causing the chase to continue. In the subsequent chase, Smith narrowly avoided striking a pedestrian while making a U-turn before colliding with a wall.

Smith then exited the vehicle and, despite being shot with a Taser, managed to evade officers. A short while later the police found Smith on Horseshoe Road and again attempted to arrest him.

The officer shot Smith with a Taser a second time and then used Captor spray after the defendant refused to stay down and continued to struggle.

Smith was later taken to Hamilton Police Station, where he refused to provide police with a sample of breath.

Addressing the court, prosecutor Victoria Greening said that Smith had numerous convictions for similar offences and was already disqualified from driving all vehicles until September 2018.

In total, Ms Greening said the conviction was Smith’s fourth for a drinking and driving offence, third for driving while disqualified and second for driving dangerously.

Lawyer Richard Horseman, representing Smith, said his client was remorseful and had made the decision to give up alcohol.

Senior magistrate Juan Wolffe said Smith’s record was “horrendous”, adding: “We are at a point now where we have to consider incarcerating you for a significant amount of time for this offence.”

He ordered a Social Inquiry Report and a drug assessment be carried out on Smith, releasing him on $1,500 bail with a like surety on the condition that he stay out of bars and avoid alcohol.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.

Magistrates' Court (file photograph)