Magistrate recalls how family ride turned into agony – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Magistrate recalls how family ride turned into agony

A member of the judiciary relived a 2019 traffic accident that left him in “extreme pain for three to four days” when he took the witness box yesterday in Magistrates’ Court.

Craig Attridge, who serves as a magistrate, claimed that he suffered a fractured collarbone and other injuries during a Sunday morning bike ride with his family after real estate agent Brian Alkon, 74, swerved on to the wrong side of the road and forced him to take evasive action.

He added: “I remember I swerved on the bike, went over the handlebars, flew through the air for a short period and then landed with a crack on my right shoulder.

“I think I initially tried to get up, but I was in so much pain that I couldn’t bother. So I just sat there lying in the road.”

Craig Attridge (File photograph)

Mr Attridge was speaking at the trial of Mr Alkon, from St George’s, who had been charged with causing Mr Attridge bodily harm from driving without due care and attention.

The court heard that Mr Attridge was cycling with his wife and 13-year-old son on April 19 last year to train for the upcoming End-to-End charity event.

Mr Attridge said that he and his family were riding home along Secretary Road in St George’s when a silver station wagon at the junction with Bourne Drive turned into the wrong lane and drove towards him head-on.

He said that he swerved to his right to avoid a collision with the station wagon and another car parked to his left.

Mr Attridge added that the manoeuvre seized his handlebars and he was thrown off his bike before he landed “with a crack” on the ground.

He said: “I felt shooting pain from the top of my right shoulder, all the way down to the top of my right buttock, as well as my left elbow immediately and my left knee.”

Mr Attridge said that the driver, who was revealed to be Mr Alkon, of Brian Alkon Real Estate, claimed that he had not seen him when he made the turn.

He added that he was later transported to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, where he was treated for his injuries.

Magistrate Marc Daniels heard that, in addition to the fractured collarbone, Mr Attridge suffered a punctured shoulder and road rash along the right side of his body, as well as on his left elbow and knee.

Mr Attridge said that his arm had been in a sling for about six weeks, leaving him unable to work for more than a week initially, and made it difficult for him to care for himself.

He added: “More than a year after the accident, I still have discomfort in that shoulder.

“I wouldn’t put it as high as pain, but it’s uncomfortable when I’m doing yardwork or heavy lifting — or anything like that.”

Michael Scott, for the defence, suggested to Mr Attridge that he collided with the car while Mr Alkon was initiating a turn.

But Mr Attridge denied this.

He said: “From what I can remember, I heard a noise that sounded like the bike made contact potentially with the car — I know I didn’t make contact with the car.

“It sounded just like a thud and then the bike ended up lying on top of my lower body; on to my legs initially.”

Mr Daniels adjourned the case until November 20 and extended Mr Alkon’s bail.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers