Log In

Reset Password

Sex offender facing deportation ignores quarantine order

Brittonie Taylor (File photograph)

A convicted sex offender set for deportation ignored orders to quarantine and skipped a Covid-19 test, Magistrates’s Court heard today.

The heard that Brittonie Taylor, 40, was due to be deported to Jamaica today but was arrested after failing to attend his preflight Covid-19 test on Saturday.

The court also heard that Taylor, who was jailed for serious sexual assault, failed to comply with an order to quarantine from the Department of Health.

Lauren Sadler-Best, for the Attorney-General’s Chambers, said: “He didn’t turn up for the test and when the officers went to see him, he was not at the Salvation Army, which was his place of abode.

“At that time they discovered he was ordered to be quarantined on March 22 by the Department of Health but he had not been.

“He left the Salvation Army every day and was at large every day.”

Taylor was not present for the hearing as he was in quarantine at Westgate this morning.

The Court heard that a deportation order for Taylor had been signed in November while he was still incarcerated for a sex attack that took place in 2011.

His deportation was scheduled to take place today because it would have allowed him to travel to Jamaica without overnighting in the United States, and that would not be possible again until late next month.

But it was likely that he would not be allowed to be deported on a commercial flight because he had made threatening comments while he was being taken to Westgate after his arrest.

Taylor allegedly told the officers he would “take the whole plane down” if they tried to deport him.

A compliance officer with the Department of Immigration said the threat would have to be shared with the airline, and it was unlikely that they would consent to carry him.

Senior magistrate Juan Wolffe authorised that Taylor be detained at Westgate.

He also ordered for Taylor to be able to appear before the court if he wished to object.

Mr Wolffe ordered the matter return to the court on April 29 if Taylor had not been deported by that time for the decision to be revisited.

Taylor was jailed after he admitted sexually assaulting a guest worker as she waited at a bus stop on South Shore in Smith's on the morning of May 28, 2011.

The Supreme Court heard that Taylor grabbed the victim while she was on the phone with her sister and carried her to an isolated rocky area near the shoreline and sexually assaulted her as she fought him.

The victim said she begged Taylor to let her go and offered to get him $500 from a nearby ATM, but he allegedly told her: “I do not need your money. I will kill you. Both of us are going to die today.”

Taylor then attempted to rape the victim again, but she convinced him to take her to the bank machine.

As they walked along the road, the victim managed to tell a passer-by that Taylor was a “bad man doing bad things” to her.

A police car then approached and Taylor fled, jumping into the ocean.

Taylor pleaded guilty to the daylight assault at a Supreme Court hearing in February 2012.

Taylor was initially ordered to serve 16 years behind bars.

Puisne Judge Carlise Greaves, who sentenced Taylor, said: “The revulsion raised in the bosoms of right-thinking members of this society must raise the strongest urge to have him put away forever”.

However the Court of Appeal found the sentence was excessive when compared to similar cases and reduced it to 14 years.

Edmund Zacca, the Court of Appeal president, said: “Although this is a serious case of sexual assault, it cannot be said to be the most serious.”