Ewart Brown makes video appearance in Supreme Court – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Ewart Brown makes video appearance in Supreme Court

Ewart Brown, former Premier of Bermuda

Ewart Brown appeared in Supreme Court via video link today – but he was not required to enter pleas on 13 charges of official corruption.

The former premier appeared on a large screen at the monthly arraignments session, after first being charged with the offences in January in Magistrates’ Court.

Dr Brown, wearing a suit, tie and glasses, was asked by Acting Puisne Judge Juan Wolffe if he could hear the proceedings and he confirmed he could.

His lawyer Jerome Lynch was in court for the hearing, as was Cindy Clarke, the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Five of the charges Dr Brown faces are related to agreements with the Lahey Clinic, in Massachusetts, through which he allegedly received a total of $4.01 million in monthly payments between 2001 and 2010.

The remaining eight charges relate to allegations of corruptly obtaining $350,500 in donations to benefit the Progressive Labour Party and the Bermuda Health Foundation between 2007 and 2010.

The offences allegedly took place between 2001 and 2010, with the earlier ones relating to his time as the Minister of Tourism and Transport and the later ones to his time as the premier.

Mr Justice Wolffe adjourned the matter for mention at the next arraignments session on May 3.

Dr Brown’s bail – in the sum of $200,000 with one like surety – was extended until then.

David Curley, the former commanding officer of the Royal Bermuda Regiment, appeared in person at today’s arraignments hearing in a separate matter, alongside co-defendants Gareath Adderley and Christopher Clarke.

None were required to enter pleas.

Lieutenant-Colonel Curley is charged with three counts of official corruption.

An earlier court hearing heard that he is accused of asking for a nomination for the Queen’s Certificate and Badge of Honour so that he could arrange to have lawyer Justin Williams appointed as legal adviser to the Regiment.

Mr Adderley, a former Commissioner of St John Ambulance, and Mr Clarke, a former police inspector, face a charge of conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

Mr Clarke is also charged with compounding a felony.

The matter was adjourned until the May 3 arraignments session and bail for all three – in the sum of $5,000 with one like surety – was extended.

Also appearing today, in another separate matter, was Progressive Labour Party MP Zane DeSilva, alongside his daughter Zarah Harper and their co-defendant Angela Caldwell, of restaurant group MEF.

Each is charged with giving false information to a public officer and false accounting on or around July 1 last year. They were not required to enter pleas.

The defendants are accused of providing a letter to an employee at the Ministry of National Security that said an event would be a charity fundraising dinner in order to be granted an exemption to hold a large group gathering under the Public Health (Covid 19 Emergency Powers) Regulations.

They are also accused of producing a document to the same ministry, for an accounting purpose, knowing it was or may have been misleading, false or deceptive.

Mr DeSilva, a former Minister of Tourism, has said he plans to deny the offences.

The case was adjourned until April 15 and bail for each, set at $5,000, was extended.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case.