Log In

Reset Password

Double trouble for rider who twice broke Covid-19 curfew

A motorcyclist could face almost $14,000 worth of fines for two breaches of the Covid-19 curfew and a string of traffic offences.

Harrison Gibbons, 53, was fined $7,050 and banned from the roads for 18 months at Magistrates’ Court after he pleaded guilty to the curfew breaches.

He also admitted failure to stop for police, dangerous driving, as well as riding an unlicensed vehicle and having no insurance.

The court heard that Gibbons also had $6,870 worth of fines from last year for another curfew breach, as well as unrelated traffic offences and possession of drugs and drug equipment – none of which he had paid.

Magistrate Tyrone Chin was told police saw Gibbons, of Hamilton Parish, riding on North Shore Road in Pembroke around 10.50pm last Friday – almost three hours past the 8pm curfew.

Officers followed him as he turned onto Langton Hill and used their emergency equipment to signal for him to stop, but Gibbons refused to stop.

Gibbons turned onto Mount Hill and sped along Berkeley Road and on to St John’s Road.

The court heard Gibbons ignored stop signs and saw him wave his arms in the air.

Gibbons was also seen to mount the sidewalk as he made his way to Serpentine Road and ran several red lights as he rode onto Cedar Avenue and Court Street.

Police followed Gibbons to Happy Valley Road where Gibbons turned onto Deep Dale Road and travelled in the wrong direction down the one-way Road.

The chase ended when he lost control on Curving Avenue and fell off the bike.

Police arrested Gibbons and later discovered that his licence had expired in December 2018 and his registration had been cancelled.

Karen King Deane, for the Crown, said that Gibbons had was convicted on April 13 last year of a curfew breach on April 13 last year as well as for unrelated traffic offences under the name “Swayne Gibbons”.

He faced further fines later that year, also under the same name, for possession of drugs and drug equipment.

Gibbons said that he had been unemployed for more than a year and could not pay the total of $13,920 in fines and asked for community service.

He asked to do community service – which the court heard could take about 696 hours to pay off.

Mr Chin ordered a social inquiry report on Gibbons to check if he was a suitable candidate for community service.

He adjourned the case until May 31 and released Gibbons on $500 bail.

It is The Royal Gazette's policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.