Three fined over curfew breaches – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Three fined over curfew breaches

Magistrates Court (photo by Glenn Tucker)

A total of three people were yesterday fined for breaches of the Covid-19 curfew.

Ian Hughes, 43, pleaded guilty in Magistrates' Court to breaking the former midnight to 5am curfew.

The court heard that police found Hughes, from Smith’s, at the corner of Front Street and Court Street, in Hamilton, at 2.05am on February 14.

He told police that he “got very drunk” and “fell asleep in front of Astwood Arms".

Elizabeth Christopher, for the defence, told the court that her client decided to walk home to avoid the risk to others of drink driving.

She said: "It was only by accident that Mr Hughes found himself in this position."

Mr Hughes told the court: "I have never found myself in this position before – I've just got to make sure this never happens again."

Magistrate Tyrone Chin fined Hughes $3,000 and ordered him to pay by June 3.

Renneka Hill, 39, admitted a breach of the midnight to 5am curfew so she could get fuel for her car.

Police stopped her on North Shore Road, in Devonshire, at 12.45am on February 7.

Officers pointed out there was a strict curfew.

She told them: “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

Hill, from Pembroke, told the court that she spent the day with an elderly relative and had forgotten about the curfew.

She added that she thought a gas station might be open and was on her way to fill up her car when she was pulled over.

Mr Chin fined Hill $2,000 and ordered her to pay by June 3.

Asah Robinson, 20, also admitted a breach of the midnight to 5am curfew.

Police stopped Robinson, from Pembroke, at the intersection of South Road and White Sands Road, in Paget, at 12.37am on January 31.

She told police after she was asked why she was not at home: “I had to go somewhere.”

Ms Christopher said that Robinson was called before curfew by a friend who had been drinking and needed someone to driver her home.

She said that Robinson got lost as she attempted to find her friend and realised she was out after the curfew by the time she took her friend home.

Ms Christopher added: “People do some expensive favours to protect the lives of other people.”

Mr Chin fined her $1,500 and ordered her to pay by June 3.

Tyler McGlashan, 26, and Olivia Washington, 19, pleaded not guilty to a breach of the midnight to 5am curfew.

The incident was alleged to have happened on February 13 in Warwick.

Mr Chin adjourned the case until June 7 and released Mr McGlashan, from Southampton, and Ms Washington, from Smith’s, on $1,500 bail each.

• It is The Royal Gazette's policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.