Limo driver’s roads ban upheld by court
A limousine driver banned from the road for dangerous driving after he was involved in a crash has had his conviction upheld by the Supreme Court.
Pillion Webb argued that the evidence against him should not have been relied upon, but Puisne Judge Shade Subair Williams found the trial judge had made the right call.
Mrs Justice Subair Williams said: “The decision to charge Mr Webb is unimpeachable on the grounds argued and the Crown’s evidence was proven beyond reasonable doubt.”
Mr Webb was charged with dangerous driving after a collision on South Road in Paget on May 2, 2019.
The court heard Mr Webb was driving a grey Rover when he attempted to overtake two other cars near the junction with Harvey Road.
One driver travelling east veered to the left of the road in an attempt to avoid a head-on collision with Mr Webb.
Mr Webb’s car struck another vehicle in the eastbound lane.
The Rover also scraped along the side of one of the cars being overtaken.
His Rover continued for another 75 metres before it stopped.
The driver in the eastbound lane suffered minor injuries and her car suffered a punctured tyre and other damage.
Magistrate Tyrone Chin, who presided at the 2020 trial, found that Mr Webb driving west in the eastbound lane at high speed and hitting another vehicle was enough to amount to dangerous driving.
Mr Chin fined Mr Webb $1,000 and banned him from driving for 18 months.
Mr Webb appealed against the conviction and his sentence.
Mr Webb said that the driver of one of the vehicles he struck did not give evidence in person, so he was unable to fully challenge her statement.
He also argued that there was not enough evidence to suggest he was travelling at a high rate of speed.
But Mrs Justice Subair Williams dismissed the appeal and said the witness’s written statement was supported by those who did provide in-person evidence at the trial.
She added that Mr Webb had not seriously challenged the evidence of his speed during his trial and had been “plainly evasive” when questioned about his speed by prosecutors.
Mrs Justice Subair Williams said: “On the evidence at trial, the magistrate was bound to find as a fact that Mr Webb had been travelling at an excessively high speed at the relevant time of the accidents.
“Additionally, Magistrate Chin was perfectly entitled to draw an inference of high speed from the evidence of the vehicular damage and the distant location at which Mr Webb stopped his car after the accident.”
The judge also dismissed Mr Webb’s appeal against his sentence as the $1,000 fine was under the $1,500 maximum and the 18-month period of disqualification was mandatory.
•It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.