Log In

Reset Password

Grieving mother recalls torment of son’s killing

Amon Brown, who was killed by son Tyshaun Brown in July 2020 (File photograph)

The grief-stricken mother of a man stabbed to death in a frenzied attack by his own son said yesterday that the trauma had caused her massive pain and ruined her health.

Valerie Raynor, the mother of victim Amon Brown, told the Supreme Court: “Hearing the words `I killed him – he deserved it’ meant that moment until now has tormented me mentally.”

She added: “I was very close to my son. We had an extremely close bond. At this point, I don’t even know how to begin to heal.

“The fact that the perpetrator is my own grandson hurts equally as much.”

Ms Raynor was speaking at the sentencing hearing for Tyshaun Brown, who pleaded guilty to the killing earlier this month.

Brown was convicted of manslaughter on the basis of diminished responsibility.

Amon Brown, 52, was stabbed 26 times on July 8, 2020 after an argument with his son on St Mary’s Road, Cedar Hill, Warwick.

The court heard Amon Brown had driven Brown to the house of his mother, Margaret Moore, that night after he picked him up from a cricket game in Somerset.

The father and son argued over the defendant’s ex-wife and Brown phoned his sister, Shauntorri Franks, at 11.30pm and shouted: “I’m going to kill daddy.”

The summary of evidence said Brown hit his father and knocked him off the porch, punched him several times, then went inside and told Ms Moore that he was going to “get a knife to kill Amon because he deserved to die”.

Brown handed the phone to his terrified mother, who phoned 911 as her son grabbed a knife and stabbed his father several times.

Brown chased his father, threatened a neighbour who confronted him and inflicted 26 wounds on his father, including a wound to the heart.

He told police who arrived at the scene: “I killed my own daddy, bro, I did it – I deserve life”.

Brown shouted to Ms Raynor when she came to the scene: “I did it, granny” and “I killed my daddy, he deserved it”.

Ms Raynor said she fainted after she saw her firstborn son’s “unrecognisable” body at the hospital.

She added: “From that moment, my life and health has taken a drastic turn for the worse.”

Ms Raynor said she had “barely slept” since the killing and was plagued by nightmares, depression and chest pains.

She added that doctors had warned her she could be at “high risk of having a heart attack or stroke”.

Ms Raynor added that Amon Brown had doted on Brown’s daughter, a toddler who had now lost her grandfather and father.

Seven other victim impact statements from family members were read out in the packed courtroom as Brown, 27, looked on from the dock.

Another sister, Twaniqua Raynor, branded Brown “evil”.

She wrote: “What a wicked, deliberate, stone-hearted act on someone who gave you life, had your back on all occasions, provided you with the opportunity to travel, put you on to jobs and hustles and kept all your nasty secrets.”

Ms Franks wrote of her horror after she got the threatening phone call from her brother and said their father “did everything for Tyshun”.

Zico Williams, another son of the victim, who had moved overseas, said he had dreamt of seeing his father again.

He wrote that Brown “cold heartedly slaughtered” Amon Brown and told him: “I couldn’t even attend my father’s funeral.

“I pray God has no mercy on you and hell has a special place for you.”

Anika Noella Williams, the mother of Mr Williams with Amon Brown, said her last text message from Mr Brown said: “Thank you for making me a father.”

Csavanni Brown, another daughter of the victim, wrote that she experienced “crying when I am alone, sadness when I think about things and depression, where I shut out everyone and isolate”.

Cindy Clarke, the Director of Public Prosecutions, said a psychologist had found that Brown suffered from prolonged grief after he witnessed a fatal accident that claimed the life of a sister, but had no major mental illness.

The attack was said to be exacerbated by alcohol.

Ms Clarke told the court Brown’s admission of guilt was the only mitigating factor in the killing.

She said prison terms for manslaughter were not fixed by law like sentences for murder.

But Ms Clarke, who asked for a prison term of 25 to 35 years, said the impact on the family had been “much the same as murder”.

She added: “Though the defendant’s responsibility was diminished, he still intended to kill.”

The court heard Brown’s previous convictions included assault on police officers and violently resisting arrest in 2019.

Ms Clarke said a conditional discharge for the offences was still in force at the time of the killing.

Mrs Justice Shade Subair Williams adjourned the case until tomorrow to hear from Brown’s defence lawyer before she passed sentence.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.