Log In

Reset Password

Man pleads guilty to the murder of 28-year-old woman

Anthony Davis, who pleaded guilty to the murder of Morissa Moniz (Photograph by Blaire Simmons)

A man has admitted the 2021 murder of a 28-year-old woman who was found in an unresponsive state by police called to a domestic incident.

Anthony Davis, 38, pleaded guilty yesterday to murder in connection with the killing of Morissa Moniz, which took place in the early hours of November 7, 2021, in Smith’s.

Davis, who is remanded in custody, otherwise remained silent during the Supreme Court proceedings.

Puisne Judge Shade Subair-Williams adjourned the case until March 27, when Davis is set to return to court to be sentenced.

Ms Moniz was found in an unresponsive state at a house in Smith’s after police responded to a reported domestic incident. She was later pronounced dead at the scene by an on-call physician.

Davis previously escaped jail time after he admitted a 2017 incident in which he dropped his seven-month-old son out of a second-storey window.

The Supreme Court heard during his sentencing that on July 2 that year Davis had attended his son’s baptism and then went to the child’s mother’s house with friends and family.

Davis, from Hamilton Parish, allegedly drank heavily throughout the evening and became “unbearable” and was asked to leave.

An argument broke out, during which he picked up his son and refused to hand the child over. He then went to an upstairs bedroom, where he was followed by the child’s uncle, who tried to get him to hand over the baby.

The court heard that as the row continued, Davis dropped the child out of the window and on to a grassy area, causing the infant soft-tissue injuries to his face and hip.

Davis himself fell out of the window and landed on a nearby paved area.

The child’s mother and others asked the court for leniency, expressing hope that Davis would continue work to recover from his personal troubles.

Davis said that his actions on the day were “unconscionable” and that he had been humbled by what happened.

Acting Chief Justice Charles-Etta Simmons sentenced Davis to nine months in prison, but suspended that sentence for two years.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.