Log In

Reset Password

Witness to Kamal Worrell: what did you do to my daughter?

Chavelle Dillon-Burgess, missing since 2020 (File photograph)

The mother of Chavelle Dillon-Burgess asked Kamal Worrell where her daughter was in a heated cross-examination in the Supreme Court.

Rose Belboda, called to the stand by Mr Worrell, challenged him repeatedly from the witness box about Ms Dillon-Burgess’s whereabouts.

“Get to the point,” she said. “What did you do to my daughter? Where did you put her?

“She lived with you. She had a child with you. What did you do to my daughter?”

Mrs Belboda accepted during the cross-examination that she had been convicted of senior abuse, stating that she had been accused of striking a senior with a plastic bottle.

However, she said she did not recall being the subject of any allegations of child abuse and did not remember an altercation that Mr Worrell suggested took place in 2018 between her husband and Ms Dillon-Burgess.

Mr Worrell has denied allegations of murdering Ms Dillon-Burgess, the mother of his child, on an unknown date between April 10 and June 11, 2020.

He has also denied a charge of wounding Ms Dillon-Burgess, a charge of common assault related to an incident on June 1, 2019, and six counts of common assault related to an incident on November 14, 2018.

As the trial continued yesterday, Mr Worrell continued to question Lauren Bell, a crime intelligence analyst for the Bermuda Police Service, about phone communications.

Ms Bell said “thousands and thousands” of pages of data were recovered from Mr Worrell’s phone. However, she said, cell tower data was not available on the phone.

“It was deleted,” she said.

Asked if the data could have been deleted accidentally or inadvertently, Ms Bell said she could not speak on that.

Ms Bell confirmed a series of WhatsApp messages sent to and from Mr Worrell’s phone between 5am on April 11, 2020, and after midnight that day.

She also noted that there was a window of time between 10am and 1.21pm that day in which no WhatsApp messages were sent from Mr Worrell’s phone.

Detective Constable Don DeSilva said he attended Mr Worrell’s home on May 4 and 5, 2020, to discuss with him the possibility of providing a witness statement about the disappearance of Ms Dillon-Burgess.

On the first day, he said, Mr Worrell questioned why police needed to interview him and complained that things were “hectic” for him at the time, but said he would reach out the following day.

On the second day, Mr Worrell said he did not want to provide a comment at that time, saying he had been “hearing things”, but did not specify what, and that he did not feel safe.

On May 6, Mr Worrell was arrested on suspicion of theft in connection to a $250 cash withdrawal he made using Ms Dillon-Burgess’s bank card. He was subsequently interviewed twice, but declined to comment.

Mr DeSilva said he was also present at Mr Worrell’s home on May 19 when he was arrested and the property was searched.

Under cross-examination, Mr DeSilva said he had heard a report that a phone and an item of clothing was found near Jews Bay, but he had not found anything to suggest it was true.

“He heard that a mobile phone was found and a jacket, but I have never seen it,” he said. “I have never had any information beyond what he said he heard.

“He said a certain person found it. I tried to find records of that person, and there was no such person.”

The trial continues.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case