Log In

Reset Password

Murder trial jury hears how body lay undiscovered for weeks

Devoted father: Jevon Daniels was declared missing for a month in 2016 before his body was discovered, wrapped in plastic, a blanket and black trash bags (File photograph)

The trial of a man accused of murdering his house mate got under way in Supreme Court yesterday.

Davin Providence, from Sandys, is charged with the murder of Jevon Daniels, between May 13 and June 17, 2016.

Mr Daniels’ body was found on Ireland Island in Sandys more than a month after he was last seen.

Opening the case for the Crown, prosecutor Carrington Mahoney told the jury that Mr Daniels had been staying in a downstairs room of a house on Railway Trail, Sandys, when he was last seen on Friday, May 13.

Mr Providence also lived at the property, which was owned by his parents, who did not approve of the living arrangement.

Mr Mahoney also said that Mr Daniels had been a devoted father who would call his son daily.

In his opening statement, he said that evidence would show that, on Saturday, May 14, family members became concerned after Mr Daniels had not been seen or heard from in 24 hours.

According to Mr Mahoney, the mother of Mr Daniels’ child messaged Mr Providence two days later, asking if he had heard from Mr Daniels.

Mr Providence replied that Mr Daniels had arrived at the Railway Trail property earlier that morning, but Mr Providence refused to let him in and told him not to come back.

According to Mr Mahoney, Mr Providence also said that he had bagged up Mr Daniels’ possessions and told the mother to come and collect them.

A missing-person report was filed and Mr Providence was interviewed by police on May 20, when he handed in his cell phone.

Mr Daniels’ body was discovered four weeks later by a man who had gone to Ireland Island to fly a kite.

Mr Mahoney said: “When the body was found it was completely naked with no apparent injuries. It was wrapped in plastic and a blanket and black trash bags.”

Mr Mahoney acknowledged that the Crown’s evidence was circumstantial, but that cell phone records would “bind the defendant to the offence”.

He said that a forensic examination of Mr Providence’s phone that had been seized by police when the suspect was first interviewed, showed that it had originally belonged to the murder victim.

Giving evidence in court, Michelle Freeman, an officer assigned to the forensic support unit of the Bermuda Police Service, said that she was part of a team that carried out a search of Mr Providence’s home the day after he had been interviewed.

Ms Freeman said that she took photographs of the property, including a storage shed that contained several bags containing clothes and shoes.

She also took photographs of Mr Daniels’ wallet, which contained his driving licence, two envelopes addressed to him, and a handwritten list of names and phone numbers.

Under cross examination by Charles Richardson for the defence, Ms Freeman agreed that the two envelopes were sent to Mr Daniels at an address on Sound View Road in Sandys, while his driving licence listed his address as being on Rosehill Road in Southampton.

Asked by Mr Richardson if officers carrying out the search were looking for signs of a struggle, or blood evidence, Ms Freeman replied “possibly”, adding that she was not aware of any such evidence being found.

The trial, before Puisne Judge Juan Wolffe, continues today and is expected to last three weeks.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case.