Log In

Reset Password

Mother of murder victim told her son had been ‘kicked out’

Missing man: Jevon Daniels was last seen on May 16, 2016

Relatives of murder victim Jevon Daniels recounted how they attempted to find him after he mysteriously disappeared in May 2016.

Mr Daniels’s mother, Gloria Daniels, gave evidence yesterday that she had contacted defendant Davin Providence on May 16, 2016, attempting to locate her son.

She said that he responded later that morning that he had kicked him out of his home earlier that day.

“His response was that he was glad that I had called, that he had kicked Jevon out of the house because he was disruptive and cursing,” she said.

Ms Daniels accepted on cross-examination that Mr Providence went on to to say that someone could collect his bags from the home.

Mr Daniels was last seen on May 13, 2016. His body, wrapped in a blanket and black trash bags, was eventually found on waste ground adjoining Ireland Rangers Field on Ireland Island, Sandys, on June 17 that year.

Mr Daniels was sharing a house with Mr Providence in Sandys at the time of his disappearance.

Ms Daniels said that she would usually speak with her son every week or two.

However, on May 15 she was contacted by the mother of his son asking if she knew where he was.

“I called him quite a few times that day and for the next couple of days I tried calling him,” she said. “I received no responses.

“Usually he would either pick up the phone or if he saw that I had called he would call me back.”

She said that during her attempts to locate her son, she was given Mr Providence’s phone number and sent him a message early on May 16.

Ms Daniels said when she went on to her lunch break later that day, she saw that he had responded in text messages, which said in part: “I had to kick Jevon out early this morning. He came to my door cursing and threatening me.

“I told him I was going to call the man and not to come back.

“I don’t want him back around my house. I’m sorry.”

Ms Daniels said she later collected her son’s possessions from the Bermuda Police Service.

She told the court that she was later sent police photographs of a grey coat that was among his belongings.

Ms Daniels said her son was not the type to stop speaking to people for periods of time and that he was extremely close to his own young son.

“Jevon’s son was his world,” she said. “Everything was for his son. He took him to school, he picked him up and practically all of his time was spent with his son.”

Mr Daniels’s aunt, Brenda Albouy, also gave evidence yesterday.

Questioned by prosecutor Carrington Mahoney, Ms Albouy said that her nephew had lived with her on several occasions while growing up.

She added that the pair had been very close and that she saw or spoke to Mr Daniels frequently before his disappearance.

Ms Albouy said she first became concerned for the welfare of her nephew when the mother of his five-year-old son contacted her to ask if she had heard from him.

Ms Albouy said the two women did not go to Mr Daniels’s home to see if he was there, but instead called on the home of one of Mr Daniels’s acquaintances.

Under cross-examination by defence lawyer Charles Richardson, Ms Albouy confirmed that the person she went to see was named Shiloh Payne.

She also confirmed that she had a conversation with Mr Payne, and later told police about that conversation.

Ms Albouy also said that her nephew “wasn’t a perfect guy” and they often argued.

She said: “Things were good in the beginning but as he got older, that’s when things happened. That’s when his attitude changed.”

She added that after Mr Daniels had disappeared, she had called the numbers of at least two mobile phones that he owned, but there was never an answer.

The trial, before Puisne Judge Juan Wolffe, continues and is expected to last three weeks.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case.