Log In

Reset Password

Officer recounts injury during pub shooting

A police sergeant who was wounded while off duty during a pub shooting that left two men dead gave his testimony yesterday.

Derrick Golding told the Supreme Court that he was at the Robin Hood Pub and Restaurant when he saw a gunman walk towards the bar and open fire on a group of men.

He added that he was shot in the hand during the mêlée.

Mr Golding said: “Once I stood up, it felt like my right hand was burning.

“When I looked down, I saw a lot of red. I realised that I had been shot.”

Mr Golding was speaking as the trial of Syhon Akinstall entered its third day.

Mr Akinstall, 22, has denied the murders of Ayinde Eve and Micah Davis, as well as the attempted murders of Troy Eve Burgess and Mr Golding.

He also denied four counts of the use of a firearm to commit an indictable offence, namely the alleged murders and alleged attempted murders.

Mr Golding told the court that he was a regular at the Pembroke pub and visited on October 26, 2021.

He said that he was sitting at the bar when, at about 6pm, he saw a man walk to the far end of it opposite him.

He said: “All of a sudden I hear gunshots. Initially, I ducked until the shots stopped. That’s when I stood up.”

Mr Golding told the court that he saw a bartender on the phone, who told him she was talking to the police.

He told her that he was an off-duty officer and to hand him the phone.

He then told dispatchers everything he had noticed.

Mr Golding said later that he recognised Mr Burgess as another regular at the pub, and that while at the bar, he saw who he later discovered to be Mr Davis.

He admitted that he did not know how many shots were fired, but added that it was “a lot”.

The jury also watched CCTV footage that showed the shooting from multiple angles.

Courtney Simmons, of the Bermuda Police Service, took the stand, telling the court that she collected relevant CCTV tapes showing the incident.

She played footage from inside and outside the pub, which showed a gunman enter the premises at about 6pm, walk towards the bar and open fire on a group of men.

Ms Simmons pointed out that this group included Mr Davis and Mr Eve.

Mr Davis could be seen collapsing after shots were fired, while Mr Eve ran towards the back door.

Ms Simmons also showed the court footage from the parking lot behind the pub.

There, a person on a motorcycle was seen driving into the parking lot and parking behind a car.

The rider opened fire on Mr Eve when he came through the back door before riding off.

Cindy Clarke, the Director of Public Prosecutions, read a written statement from Steven Keller, a Robin Hood patron seated at the outside bar during the shooting.

Mr Keller said that he saw a man in all black walk into the pub “with purpose” before hearing gunshots ring out.

He added that “it sounded like a war zone”.

Mr Keller said he then watched the same man leave down the stairs.

He pointed out that “he did not run” and that “he was very calm”.

Mr Keller said that the gunman wore a full-faced helmet with a dark visor, adding that he was skinny and appeared to be young.

He then saw another man on a Honda Click motorcycle ride up to the entrance, where the gunman mounted the back and the pair rode off towards Belco.

Mr Keller said that he went into the pub to assist, as he was trained in first aid.

He said that he saw Mr Davis bleeding from his head and performed first aid until emergency medical personnel arrived.

Ms Clarke also read in a statement from Israel Guzman Thiboutot, who worked in the AIG reinsurance building next to Robin Hood.

His statement said that he was waiting to be picked up after work when he heard “at least ten loud pops, like firecrackers”.

Mr Thiboutot then heard five more “pops” before he saw a black motorcycle ride out from behind the pub and ride off with another person.

He described both men as being skinny and of average to short height.

The trial continues.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case