Log In

Reset Password

Board should 'penalise' outspoken Mukuddem

Retired Bermuda all-rounder Saleem Mukuddem should face further disciplinary action for his recent public criticism of Bermuda Cricket Board (BCB), former Board administrator Dennis Wainwright has argued.

Wainwright yesterday described the South African-born cricketer’s lambasting of the Board upon his return from the World Cup as “totally unacceptable”, and he accused local cricket’s governing body of being too lenient in their overall handling of the matter.

The former Flatt’s and St.George’s Cup Match star recalled when Somerset all-rounder Wendell White was harshly punished by the Board several years ago for speaking publicly on national team matters.

And he feels strongly that local cricket’s national body should’ve dealt with the former BCB technical committee member’s case in a similar manner.

“To come back after an official tour and criticise a national body is a no-no. You just couldn’t do that when I was playing. If you had any concerns in those days you had to first address them with the governing body,” Wainwright said.

“I thought this fellow Mukuddem was totally out of order for criticising the administration. And I certainly feel that this should not be a closed case and that he should be dealt with accordingly.”

Mukuddem was banned for Bermuda’s March 19 World Cup match against India and also had a portion of his match fee deducted for failing to attend a team reception at the British High Commission in Port of Spain two days earlier.

After bowing out of international cricket, the player later claimed that at no time in Trinidad was it ever made clear that the event was an official function or mandatory.

Mukuddem added that he and his wife were initially invited to attend the team gathering in the Island’s capital, but were later informed by team manager Lionel Tannock that children would not be allowed.

Mukuddem also contends that he told Tannock he would not be able to attend the reception because he did not want to leave his six-month old son with an unknown baby-sitter at the team’s hotel in St.Ann’s.

Wainwright, however, believes the player’s excuse is unacceptable and, that as an ambassador for the Island at the time, he should have attended the function with his team-mates instead of remaining with his family.

“I think it’s unfortunate that Mukuddem has found himself in a position like this, but he was there in an official capacity representing Bermuda — and not his wife or child,” Wainwright stressed.

“When you are on an official tour or get an invitation from any authority it becomes official. And it’s almost an insult if you don’t show up to the host.

“If he was told he had to be at a function, his wife could’ve stayed with the baby and he could’ve still attended. All he had to do was show his face and then he could’ve left to return to his family.

“I think this is a very poor excuse that he didn’t have anyone to look after his child.”

In 2002 Somerset cricketer White received a multiple-game suspension for making positive comments following the Island’s tour of Argentina, while current chairman of national team selectors Arnold Manders and his Western Stars team-mate Jermaine Postlethwaite were also summoned before the Board’s disciplinary panel for speaking to the press on sensitive issues.

In a scathing attack, Mukuddem accused the Board of being “incompetent and inconsistent” in suspending him for one game after he skipped the team function.

But in response to the accusations made by Mukuddem last week, the Board insisted protocol had been adhered to during the World Cup campaign and that it was compulsory for all players to be in attendance at the team reception in Port of Spain.

“As far as the BCB is concerned, this matter is now closed,” the Board said, in a written statement last week.

Wainwright, however, believes local cricket’s governing body are sending out the wrong message in their handling of Mukuddem’s case.

“When you allow your leading players to get away with things like this, then others will think it’s okay to act in the same manner,” he said.

“I think the Board have to be firm all the way around, and not just with some people because in any other country Mukuddem would be severely penalised for the way he has acted.

“And I truly believe he should be penalised by the Board because you just don’t come back and condemn the administration like that. I think he was totally out of order.”