Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

BCB call websites’ under-15 claims ‘blatantly untrue’

Bermuda Cricket Board have moved to quash rumours of bad behaviour by members of the Under-15s squad in Canada last week by calling an article which appeared on Islandstats.com as ‘misleading and blatantly untrue’.

The Bermuda website published an article on Sunday that repeated, but did not atribute, allegations first made on US cricket website dreamcricket.com concerning the game between Bermuda and Canada and which appeared in an article by Peter Della Penna on August 27.

Among the allegations were that Bermuda’s players had been aggressive in their sledging of the opposition, deliberately bowled a high-full toss, behaved so badly that umpires were forced to have a word with captain Antonio Darrell, and that a member of the Bermuda management ran on to the field of play to protest a decision.

BCB officials questioned the under-15s management team on their return to the Island and spoke with ICC Americas Regional Devlopment Manager Martin Vieira, all of whom said that the incidents were ‘blatanly untrue’.

“The BCB wishes to correct some misleading and untrue reported statements in relation to the recent National U15 participation in ICC Americas Division One,” said the Board’s statement. “The BCB has had a full debrief on this specific matter from all three members of tour management in addition to communication from tournament organizers.

“The reported statements claim that the Bermuda players were guilty of bad behaviour and numerous breaches of Code of Conduct during the matches in Canada.

“Both tour management and ICC officials have confirmed that there was no behaviour on tour that warranted any negative umpire’s report and the majority of so-called incidents are blatantly untrue.

“Some of the examples of this include: Claim that a Bermuda bowler deliberately bowled a high-full toss is untrue; Claim that a Bermuda wicketkeeper deliberately gave a shoulder barge to a Canadian player is untrue; Claim that a Bermuda fielder displayed excessive taunting directed at the Canadian bench after taking a catch is untrue; Claim that all 11 members of the Bermuda team went to the boundary edge to surround and sledge the new batsman is untrue.”

In Della Penna’s article, large portions of which appeared verbatium on Islandstats.com, the US writer describes an incident in which Micah Perozzi was given out for obstructing the field: “Perozzi was given out. Perozzi began gesturing at both umpires while a member of the Bermuda management team ran out onto the field to protest but the umpires stayed with the decsion.”

The dream cricket article continues: “Bermuda came out to field with very aggressive body language and didn’t hold back from sledging. Tensions were on the rise after the Perozzi dismissal and on the first ball of the chase, (Christian) Gibbons-Wade delivered a neck high full toss at Harsh Thakar. In the next over, the keeper (Janhoi) Bean-Wilson gave a shoulder barge into Thakar while fielding a throw.

“The umpires once again drew the ire of the Bermuda management staff off the field when they approached Darrell to have a word about controlling his players increasingly poor behaviour, which was evident all week long.”

Della Penna’s last reference to Bermuda’s allegedely poor behaviour includes an accusation that Perozzi mimicked shooting a gun at the Canada bench after taking a catch to dismiss opener Kurt Ramdath.

“Things got even uglier after Perozzi completed the catch when he started a celebration which involved him turning to the Canada bench to start shooting an imaginary machine gun while yelling out, “Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop!,” wrote Della Penna. “The Bermuda team then went to the boundary edge to welcome the new batsman Bradley Dickson, with all 11 fielders surrounding him and chatting to him all the way to the crease which prompted one of the Canada management members to yell out, ‘stay away from my batsman’.”

There had been claims that dreamcricket.com had photographic evidence of Bermuda’s bad behaviour, however they have failed to produce it despite reportedly being asked to do so.

Della Penna and dreamcricket.com have failed to respond to requests for comment, while Islandstats.com said that the Board told them where to get the information in the first place.

“Islandstats.com posted a story on Sunday, from a report that was posted on the website that the Bermuda Cricket Board advised the media that they could get information about the tournament,” the website said in a posting yesterday afternoon.

The Board haven’t said if they asked the websites to remove the offending articles, or if they asked for an apology. As of last night Islandstats appeared to have removed their story, whereas dreamcricket had not.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published August 31, 2011 at 11:06 am (Updated August 31, 2011 at 11:05 am)

BCB call websites’ under-15 claims ‘blatantly untrue’

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon