Duo’s bans appealed against by St George’s
St George’s Cricket Club are appealing against the lengthy bans imposed on their players Detroy Smith and Macai Simmons by Bermuda Cricket Board (BCB).
The duo were banned by a BCB disciplinary committee last week for their alleged involvement in two separate incidents that marred the 50 over Premier matches between St George’s and PHC at Wellington Oval and PHC Field earlier this season.
Smith was banned for three years for allegedly committing a Level Four offence while Simmons has been banned from playing cricket for nine months for allegedly committing a Level Three offence.
Both players did not turn up for their disciplinary hearings presided over by BCB vice-president Allen Richardson, Noel Gibbons and Derek Wright.
St George’s secretary and sports chairman Raoul Ming confirmed that his club will be filing appeals on each player’s behalf.
“St George’s Cricket Club was not only disappointed but surprised with the BCB suspensions of Macai Simmons and Detroy Smith,” he
told The Royal Gazette. “We do agree with and support the rules of the game, however the process used to arrive at the suspension decisions was questionable and as a result we will be filing appeals on behalf of each player.”
It remained unclear last night whether or not PHC will appeal against the two-year ban imposed on their player Khiry Furbert who is alleged to have also been involved in the two incidents that flared up during the matches between St George’s and PHC. Despite repeated attempts senior PHC executive Mark Wade could not be reached for comment.
The Royal Gazette can confirm that Willow Cuts are appealling against the BCB’s decision to award Devonshire the points from a September 4 Premier 50 over contest between the two teams that was abandoned at Devonshire Recreation Club three overs shy of being considered a legitimate match.
BCB rules governing its 50 over competition state that “a minimum of 20 overs per team shall constitute a match”. Cuts only faced 17 overs before umpire Lester Harnett abandoned the match shortly after colleague Bobby Smith walked off the field for fear of his safety after being subjected to threatening remarks from players and fans.
It remains unclear, though, whether Cuts intend to appeal against the one-year BCB ban imposed on their player Deunte Darrell last week.
The teenaged all-rounder was banned until September 9th, 2012 for breaching probation, threat of an assault on an umpire, abusing cricket ground equipment (kicking down the stumps), and showing serious dissent towards an umpire’s decision.
Darrell pleaded guilty to the charge of threat of an assault on an umpire but denies the other charges presented at his disciplinary hearing. In the wake of last week’s disciplinary hearings BCB vice-president Richardson said unruly behaviour towards umpires will now be “dealt with severly” moving forward.
“We have a duty not only to uphold the standards of cricket, and what it stands for, but also a duty to the umpires,” he declared. “From now on the message is don’t test us, don’t push us.”