Board to honour World Cup team
Clay Smith, Dwayne Leverock and the rest of the Bermuda 2007 World Cup squad will reunite for a one-off game against the MCC later this month.
The team are being honoured for their historic achievement by the Bermuda Cricket Board by being asked to play in a –Twenty20 festival match against the touring side at Somerset Cricket Club on September 26.
Allen Richardson, the BCB’s first vice-president, said the day/night encounter will provide the Island’s cricket fans with the chance to ‘celebrate the team that took Bermuda to the world stage’.
Several members of the side, such as Lionel Cann, Dean Minors and Irving Romaine are still involved in the national set-up and Cann said the game was a great opportunity for the squad to get together and re-live their achievments.
“It’s a great opportunity for the World Cup team to get back together,” said Cann.
“It was a great achievement to qualify for the World Cup, but to play against the MCC, the custodians of cricket who have seen some of the greatest players that have ever played cricket come through their ranks, the boys are looking forward to the game,
“It’s a good opportunity for the boys to come together again and have a nice little time and enjoy the cricket and all the hospitality that the Board is going to have for that game.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service