Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Clubs to meet with presidential candidates

Bermuda Cricket Board (BCB) Affiliates will get the opportunity to run the rule over those bidding to succeed outgoing president Reggie Pearman at Police Recreation Club tonight.

The Board’s member clubs have scheduled the meeting to allow those vying for Pearman’s job the chance to get acquainted and personally state their objectives if elected.

Vying for the BCB’s top post are first vice-president Allen Richardson, former national team captain Clay Smith, past BCB president Ed Bailey and BCB second vice-president Lloyd Fray who confirmed he will run late last week.

High on Fray’s mandate to take local cricket to the next level is bridging the gap that currently exists between the BCB and its member clubs. He has also vowed to garner the support and trust of players and conduct a review of the current administration to ensure it is being run efficiently.

“I truly believe that the current administration needs to know what is our mandate,” he said. “We need to know what our objectives are, are they clear, are we approachable and transparent, are we fair, are we accountable and ultimately do we need to change. And I think the answer is yes, the administration does need to change.”

As for his fellow rivals, the former Flatts, Nationals, Western Stars and Warwick cricketer said: “They are all strong opponents in their own right. However, I bring a level of experience certainly in terms of how cricket has changed over the years.”

Smith is more than convinced that he has what it takes to lead from the front.

“I feel that I have a lot to offer cricket,” he said. “What the BCB presidency needs right now is someone who is going to be visual and somebody who is going to make a difference.”

If elected, Smith intends to establish a manner of professionalism in all aspects of the local game as well as improve the standard of pitches and promote the sport more in the schools.

Bailey, who previously served as chairman of the ICC’s qualification committee, wants to see the BCB become more transparent and clubs more involved in the decision making process. He has also vowed to tackle anti-social behaviour that has manifested itself in local cricket.

“With a population of less than one percent that plays cricket, we have a very limited pool of players, and if there are challenges such as the social ills, it’s important that we get the appropriate support for each and every player who becomes vulnerable to anti-social activities,” he said.

Richardson, who is currently on tour of Barbados with the Bermuda Masters, wants to change the BCB’s management style to a more authoritative one, clamp down on unruly behaviour in the sport and revamp the domestic game to cater to the needs of serious and recreational cricketers.

“I’ve been around cricket all my life and taken the last six years to learn the inner workings of what the Board has going on,” he said. “I’m very confident. I have 80 percent of the solutions for cricket in my head, the other 20 percent I know where to go to get the answers. So I think that puts me in good stead for knowing what we need to do in our cricket.”

Although the date of this year’s Annual General Meeting has not been officially announced, it is understood it will take place on November 29.

At the previous election for the BCB presidency in 2007, Richardson lost to incumbent Pearman on a tie-break.

BTC CEO Lloyd Fray announced he will run for the BCB presidency late last week.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published November 07, 2011 at 1:00 am (Updated November 07, 2011 at 8:19 am)

Clubs to meet with presidential candidates

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon