Log In

Reset Password

Ruthless Tuff Dogs claim double

Doing the double: Tuff Dogs had a season to remember(Photograph by Natalie Dyrli)

Dean Minors bludgeoned an unbeaten 77 and Arnold Manders bagged a five-wicket haul as Tuff Dogs completed the coveted league and cup double in emphatic style by crushing Renegades by 85 runs in the Evening Cricket League’s Premier Division Knockout final at Shelly Bay.

Apart from opener Durnferd Davis’s brilliant 75, Renegades had no answer to the former Bermuda and Cup Match stars in Saturday’s season finale.

Minors, 46, plundered eight sixes and two fours in his 35-ball knock after reaching his 50 in 26 deliveries to provide the backbone of Tuff Dogs’ imposing 210 for three, including 20 extras, in their 20 overs. Manders, 57, a slow bowler who took four wickets in his side’s semi-final victory over Fine Leg Byes, then undermined Renegades’ run chase with five for 29, including four wickets in his fourth over, as the league runners-up subsided to 125 all out in 19.2 overs.

Terence Corday, captain of Tuff Dogs, who took four wickets, said: “Playing with legends of Bermuda cricket like Arnold Manders and Dean Minors and ex-international players like Azeem Khan, Daniel Morgan and Jermaine Warner makes the rest of us want to raise our game.

“It was a great season and the camaraderie we have as a team off the field turns into good performances on the field. We are already looking forward to next season and hope we can go a step further and compete again for a Central Counties victory.”

Having been put in to bat, Tuff Dogs reached the halfway point of their innings on 79 for three after openers Azeem Khan and Trevor Corday made 37 and 32 respectively.

Minors then teamed up with Justin Barritt, who finished on 43 not out from 30 balls, including three sixes and three fours, to put the Renegades attack to the sword.

Minors was in explosive form, taking 30 off the fourteenth over, and he and his partner then combined to hit 32 off the eighteenth over as the carnage continued. Greg Garside emerged with Renegades’ best bowling figures of two for 28 from three overs.

Davis and fellow opener Ryan Miller showed they were up to the daunting run chase, both displaying quality stroke play and the ability to turn ones into twos and twos into threes with some aggressive running between the wickets.

Boundaries were harder to come by but the openers continued to score at eight an over, Davis enjoying a slice of luck when he was dropped on 28 in the seventh over.

Corday, a slow bowler, introduced himself into the attack in the next over and the move paid immediate dividends as he had Miller caught at mid-off for 22 from his fourth delivery. He followed up with two more wickets from successive balls after the water break, leaving Renegades struggling at 81 for four from 12 overs.

Manders was brought into the attack and picked up a wicket in his first over before Corday, who finished with four for 30, ended Davis’s resistance, having him stumped, his 75 off 52 balls containing two sixes and two fours.

Manders then cleaned up the tail with his four-wicket burst before Minors, for good measure, came on to bowl the final over, completing the victory with a wicket from his second delivery and later being named man of the match.

Deloitte won the Second Division final, narrowly beating St George’s in a 16-overs-a-side game, and dedicated their eight-run victory to their regular captain Dan Obote, who had to fly to Uganda for his father’s funeral.

Man of the match was Deloitte’s Lincoln Wahl, who made 61, in his side’s 123 for five before they restricted St George’s to 115 for seven.