Cricketer Jason Anderson’s life ban revoked
Jason Anderson, the former St George’s Cup Match and Bermuda youth-team wicketkeeper-batsman, is free to resume his career after the Bermuda Cricket Board revoked his life suspension on Thursday night.
The governing body confirmed the news yesterday, meaning that Anderson, now 43, can play effective immediately on the condition that his registration forms have been completed.
“Mr Anderson went through an appeals process with an argument presented by a member club [Western Stars] and the appeals committee recommended that the suspension be lifted,” Cal Blankendal, the BCB executive director, told The Royal Gazette.
“We welcome him back and wish him the best for the rest of his playing career.”
Anderson, when contacted, was reserved in his comment but appreciative of the effort Western Stars made on his behalf.
“This has been a six-month process and I’m thankful to the people at Stars — Justin Robinson, Jekon Edness, Devarr Boyles, Gershon Gibbons, Willis Dill — for getting this through,” he said. “I’m glad to be back.”
Anderson, who has registered with Western Stars and expects to be available for selection for the First Division club inside the next two weeks, had been punished for his part in a disturbance at the Champion of Champions final on September 12, 2015 at Lord’s in St David’s.
While fielding for Eastern Counties champions Cleveland against Willow Cuts, their Western Counties counterparts, Anderson struck Cuts’ guest player George O’Brien in the face and a lengthy brawl ensued, which required police intervention.
Five days later, no doubt influenced by a video of the episode that went viral, the BCB administered swift action with a life ban and Cleveland followed suit the next day.
Anderson was “found guilty of a Level 4 2.4.2 [breach] of the Code of Conduct: Physical assault of another player, and has been given a life ban from all cricket, and any involvement in the game of cricket in Bermuda in any capacity,” the board said in a statement at the time.
O’Brien was banned for the first six matches of the 2016 season.
In announcing Cleveland’s decision 24 hours later, the late president Carlton Smith said: “Cleveland County Cricket Club would like to announce that as a result of the incident at the recent Champion of Champions final, Mr Jason Anderson is hereby banned from representing the club in all sporting activities for life.”
“The executive and members of CCCC do not condone the behaviour of Mr Anderson. We view these matters seriously and as a community club this is not the type of behaviour that we expect from members of the club, nor the example that we would like to set for our junior players.”