Weekend mayhem: arrest made in knife murder
A man has been arrested in connection with the weekend knife killing of another man at a petrol station, it was revealed yesterday.
Police said they were “working on locating and arresting further persons”.
Detective Sergeant Jason Smith, in charge of the investigation in the stabbing at the Rubis petrol station on South Road, Warwick, on Sunday night, said that police were keen to trace witnesses and anyone with video footage of the incident, which happened at about 7.15pm.
Mr Smith said: “That footage will be important to our investigation.”
He added that suspects had fled the scene in a car, which was of particular interest to investigators.
Mr Smith was speaking as Commissioner of Police Stephen Corbishley outlined the police response to a string of violent incidents over the National Heroes Day holiday weekend.
Mr Corbishley said the petrol station killing was “abhorrent”.
He added: “We have started to make arrests and they will continue throughout the day.
“I hope that people talk about this incident in the community because the police can only do so much. This is a community issue.
“Those involved should be ashamed of themselves and recognise that they will be subject to an inquiry.
“Our response is to increase resources at key locations. We have also extended our search powers.”
A man was also shot several times and wounded in St George's and a brawl involving groups of young men happened at John Smith's Bay over the weekend.
Police are also investigating reports of shots in the Middletown area of Pembroke.
Mr Corbishley said that extra police resources had been deployed as a result of the violence and that some officers had to be diverted from the search for 27-year-old Chavelle Dillon-Burgess, who has been missing since April.
Mr Corbishley said: “This weekend is shocking and I am angry, as many people in the community are, and my thoughts are with the family of the young man who lost his life.
“We are aware of what is going on with these groups. The incident at John Smith's Bay was as a result of a large congregation of people, some of whom were celebrating graduation.
“There were too many on the beach and the [Royal Bermuda] Regiment did their job in protecting people around Covid, directing them to disperse but they did not — they congregated in the car park and violence took place.
“They are accountable and those involved will be arrested and placed before the courts.”
Police said the investigation continued into the St George's shooting, which happened near the landmark Unfinished Church, and that no arrests had been made.
Wayne Caines, the Minister of National Security, appealed to the public to pull together to combat the violence.
He said: “I am calling on our community to also step up and do their part. The lives of our young black men must matter. We all must value the sanctity of life.
“We have to do more as a community. I am urging members of the public to please get involved and support our charitable organisations and helping agencies that assist young and at-risk children.”
Ben Smith, the shadow national security minister, added community leaders had to play their part to help deal with the crisis.
He said: “Our collective community leaders need to come together to discuss solutions as this violence is just a symptom of bigger issues in Bermuda.
“The impact of the severe changes to life due to Covid-19 health restrictions has seen a rise in many different forms of violence and our young people have also been impacted.”
Mr Smith added: “There is still no excuse for this behaviour and we need to give all support we can to the police in finding everyone involved in all the incidents over this weekend, while also continuing to help in the investigation involving Chavelle.”