Victim was shot in the back of the head
Police investigations into Bermuda's latest gun murder indicate that Jonathan Dill, 30 was killed by a lone gunman, execution-style.
The Pembroke man was gunned down outside a residence on Glebe Road around 10.20pm on Monday night, near the junction with St Monica's Road.
The victim is survived by a seven-year-old daughter and a wife who is 25, along with numerous family members and friends.
A Family Liaison Officer has been assigned to his family to assist “during this difficult time”.
Acting Superintendent Nick Pedro confirmed the victim sustained a gunshot wound to the back of the head, although he would not confirm multiple wounds.
He told reporters yesterday there's no question the shooting was gang related. “The nature and method of this heinous crime lends evidence that this is a gang-related event. As such, enhanced regular and armed patrols will also include areas where there is the possibility for retaliation,” said Acting Supt Pedro. “A full complement of detectives will investigate this matter to bring the offenders to justice.”
Asked whether or not police anticipate any retaliatory action he said the enhanced patrols are being conducted as a “precautionary measure”.
“We do this in all crimes of this nature, it's not anything new, but certainly for the area that's affected we have increased patrols and areas where we believe that there may be the possibility for retaliation we would be enhancing those patrols that already exist.”
He told reporters the lone gunman had more than one escape route once the crime was committed.
“The suspect is believed to have acted alone riding a motorcycle, and on leaving the scene of the crime, the suspect turned south on The Glebe Road towards Parsons Road, Friswells Hill, or Bishop Spencer Road — being other possible routes taken after leaving the residence.”
Further details on the suspect “may be released at a later time”, he added.
Police received several 911 calls reporting gunshots on Monday night.
Some reported hearing as many as nine rounds fired off; others said at least five.
The Officer in Charge of the Serious Crime Unit said that's not unusual.
“It's a fairly common practice when people hear gunshots in the middle of the night they call 911.
“All available evidence is being reviewed, and several witnesses have already been interviewed,” he said.
“Detectives will continue to work at the crime scene and the wider neighbourhood to canvass for more evidence and witnesses during the remainder of the day, and our Community Action Team will also work with area residents to assist them during what is unfortunately a more common, but nonetheless troubling and traumatic experience.”
Sources told this newspaper the victim was shot several times as he tried to flee before he was fatally wounded.
Officers arrived at the scene at #31 The Glebe Road to find the victim outside the residence in an unresponsive state.
Neighbours said the cottage is a popular area for young men to congregate.
Acting Supt Pedro would not be drawn on identifying which gangs are believed to be involved. But he said: “It would appear fairly obvious that the shooting was gang related.
“The investigation is ongoing and all those matters are subject to the investigation, so it would be premature to comment on that.
“All those details will come in due course.” He described the shooting as a “heinous and cowardly” act.
Mr Dill's death marked the third gun murder of the year following the double shooting of Haile Outerbridge and Ricco Furbert in January.
Several arrests were made in connection with that incident. To date, no one has been charged with the double shooting.
It also follows the stabbing death of Verneil Richardson in June and 22-year-old Steven Jireh Iris on The Glebe Road last month.
Acting Supt Pedro said the issue of unsolved murders is discussed with grieving families.
“Quite often we have that conversation with the families very early on as we will do with Mr Dill's family.
“Sometimes these matters are solved very quickly and sometimes it takes a year or two.
“But I think you'll see from our recent track record that we have a fairly good and enviable record of bringing people to justice, even after a long time has elapsed.
“So, we can't promise anybody anything, but certainly where we have information or evidence that will take us to an offender and bring that person to justice, we will do that.”
Police are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
Anyone who may have seen this latest incident or can provide information to assist in identifying and bringing the offender or offenders to justice should call 247-1739, or the confidential Crimestoppers hotline at 800-8477 (TIPS).