Arrest made in connection with playground arson case
Police have made an arrest after a Pembroke playground was destroyed in a fire last weekend.
Detectives yesterday confirmed that one person had been arrested in connection to the blaze at Pig’s Field last Saturday evening.
Investigators have also concluded that a series of fires in the area in recent months were started deliberately – although it cannot be confirmed if they were all started by the same person
Detective Inspector Derricka Burns said: “Officers from the Criminal Investigations Department, have conducted a number of enquiries into these incidents.
“It has been confirmed that the fires were deliberately set, including the recent fire at Pig’s Field playground which had damages estimated at approximately $60,000.
“Officers have arrested one person in connection with the playground incident. More arrests are anticipated.”
Police set up a task force last month following a string of fires. Two derelict buildings were set alight in separate incidents, while a number of cars were also damaged by fire.
But Detective Inspector Burns did not confirm if a serial arsonist or gang of arsonists was responsible.
She said: “It is unknown at this time if the fires are connected or if the same persons are responsible.
“Patrol officers will continue to conduct proactive monitoring of the areas affected by the fires.”
The BPS urges anyone with any information on these incidents to contact the Criminal Investigations Unit on 295 0011 or 247 1744.