Police launch investigation after man and woman shot at Devonshire Recreation Club
Two people were injured after gunmen burst into a crowded social club and began shooting.
The incident took place at Devonshire Recreation Club on Frog Lane just before midnight on Thursday.
The two victims – a man and a woman – were taken to hospital for treatment, but their injuries were said to be non-life-threatening.
Police said up to 50 customers were in the club when the two suspects entered and opened fire.
A police spokeswoman said: “On arrival, it was ascertained that a 25-year-old woman and a 32-year-old man had been shot.
“The two were transported to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital via private transportation.”
She added: “The investigation is in the early stages. However, it is believed that approximately 30 to 50 people were in attendance at the club when two suspects rode onto the premises and fired several rounds at persons in attendance.
“It is also believed that there may be a second motorcycle involved, also carrying two people.”
Detective Sergeant Jason Smith said: “We are appealing to those in the community, in particular those persons who were in attendance at the Devonshire Rec and saw the shooting, to make contact with us, so we can bring some closure to the families of these two victims.”
The suspect motorbike was believed to have travelled along Frog Lane, Devonshire, in the direction of Palmetto Road.
Mr Smith added: “We are also appealing to area residents who may have heard a bike or possibly two bikes speeding away immediately after the gunshots, to contact us to assist with the direction of travel.
“Residents who have CCTV in the Frog Lane and Palmetto Road, Devonshire area are urged to make contact with police as well.”
Yesterday, Mark Steede, the club president, said he was “angry, disgusted and shocked” by what had occurred at the venue.
He said the club was “hurting” but would continue with its work, as he wished the victims a speedy recovery.
Mr Steede added: “There are not enough words to describe how I truly feel regarding what happened last night at our club.
“I am angry, disgusted, shocked, but most of all hurt by the irresponsible actions that could have cost innocent people their lives.
“This determination to kill and harm others has been going on for too long and it needs to stop.
“On behalf of the Devonshire Recreational Club, Inc. I extend my warmest wishes to the two people who were injured last night. We wish you a speedy recovery.
“Last night’s patrons were doing nothing wrong besides enjoying themselves after work, and having their peace disturbed like this is appalling.
“The executive here at the Devonshire Recreation Club, Inc., and many club officials before us, have worked tirelessly to create an environment that is welcoming for all of Bermuda.
“We do not care where you are from, as long as you treat our club and premises with respect, we are happy to have you join us.
“This club is more than just sports. We care about our community. We pour into the youth.
“We provide a safe and nurturing space for the entire family. For someone to carelessly disrupt our efforts is selfish and thoughtless.
“But rest assured, your actions will not stop us from continuing with our commitment to strengthen the great legacy this club has built over the years. We are hurting but we will not stop our work. We have many more goals to accomplish.”
Renée Ming, the national security minister, appealed to anyone who knew something about the incident “not to turn a blind eye”, but help the police.
She said: “The shooting which took place last night at a local sporting club has left two young people injured.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families at this time.”
The attack was also condemned by Michael Dunkley, the One Bermuda Alliance spokesman on national security.
Mr Dunkley said: “I am tired of saying that I am shocked every time there is a shooting in this country.
“My question this morning is, why is this continuing to happen? What happened last night was senseless and irresponsible and people could have lost their lives.
“As a community, we cannot keep our heads buried in the sand and hope that this recklessness will go away.
“We no longer can say, ‘It won’t happen here’ or think that the innocent will not become victims. We cannot stay silent when we know who is committing these crimes.
Police appealed to anyone with information that could help the inquiry to contact Detective Sergeant Jason Smith on 717-0864 or 211 or the confidential and anonymous Crimestoppers hotline on 800-8477.