Police hunt smash-and-grab burglars
Two burglars have been caught on camera carrying out a smash-and-grab raid at a Hamilton jewellery store earlier this month.
• This story has been amended to clarify that the burglars smashed a window and did not smash their way into the store.
A police spokesman said the two men on a motorcycle drove up to ER Aubrey jewellery on Queen Street at about 3am on April 4.
The pillion passenger, wearing a red adidas jacket with camouflage sleeves and a silver helmet, smashed the front window to the premises and removed a quantity of items which were on display.
The rider wore a black jacket and black full-faced helmet, with a dark-tinted visor.
The suspects then fled the scene riding north on Queen Street.
The incident was caught on the store’s security cameras.
Anyone with information was asked to call 211, the Criminal Investigations Unit on 247-1744, Crime Stoppers on 800-84777, or to share details with a police officer.
Business owners, particularly within Hamilton, were also warned to secure all access points to their premises.
They were advised to use roller shutters and set alarms, and check that CCTV is working efficiently.
The spokesman advised having indoor and outdoor lighting, especially around entry points.
Store owners should avoid leaving cash on premises or having valuables exposed.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service