Murder victim named as police appeal for witnesses to attack
The victim of a stabbing on Saturday night in Warwick was this afternoon named by police as Marcus Wilson, aged 30.
It marked the island’s seventh murder for 2022.
Detective Inspector Jason Smith said Mr Wilson and a 38-year-old man, now recovering in hospital, were both residents of the house on Astwood Walk off South Shore Road, just west of the junction with Cobbs Hill Road, where the attack took place.
Mr Smith said four assailants participated in the attack.
“We know from our inquiries that there were a total of four persons involved in the assault on the 38-year-old male and were responsible for the murder of Marcus Wilson.”
Two people have been arrested and are “currently detained while investigations and inquiries are made”, he added.
An investigation to track down the other two suspects was “ongoing”.
Mr Smith said the residence was “familiar” to police, but that the victim was not known to authorities.
Several calls of a “disturbance” at the lane on the South Shore, which lies east of the Warwick Gas Station, came to police shortly after 8pm on Saturday.
Mr Smith said police so far were not treating the attack as a home invasion.
He added he “could not speak” to any possible links to recent high-profile raids conducted by police.
The two injured men were taken to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, but Mr Wilson succumbed to his injuries on arrival. The second man underwent surgery for his injuries.
Mr Smith appealed for witnesses to come forward and assist, particularly “persons who live in the immediate area”.
He said police sought information from residents in the area of Billy Goat Hill and on the South Shore in the vicinity of the Warwick gas station.
Police are seeking footage from CCTV systems at homes and businesses to assist.
Part of Astwood Walk borders an open area of construction, leading to houses overlooking the South Shore.
But two area residents both described the house where the assault took place as notorious in the neighbourhood for suspicious looking activity.
One resident said the house caused people to feel unsafe. “It’s a very quiet neighbourhood. Only one place has been causing trouble.
“There was a lot of unusual activity there, sometimes very late at night. I don’t even walk past it – I drive.”
The resident added: “What happened is really sad. A murder, another person in hospital. But it felt really unsafe, because you don’t know that will happen. What if someone started shooting?
“There’s always piles of junk, bottles, dogs. This is a shock. I feel we didn’t do enough as neighbours to stop this.”
Another resident, who was away from home at the time of the attack, said he was “pretty sure that location is known to the police”.
The address’s bad reputation extended across several years, he added. “A lot of pitbull type dogs have been removed from there over the years.”
He said police had cordoned off the premises for a day – but that neighbours at a property next door had said they “didn’t hear anything”.
Mr Smith extended condolences to Mr Wilson’s family on behalf of police, and said authorities were grateful to area businesses that had come forward with footage.
He added: “We ask you, our community partners, to make contact with us and assist us, to bring closure to his family, so that we can also bring this before the courts for successful prosecution.”