Robin Horsfield left frustrated after mechanical issues
Robin Horsfield was hindered by mechanical issues as he concluded his Pan American Mountain Bike Championships in frustrating fashion in Minas Gerais, Brazil.
Having finished 62nd in the 92-rider field in the elite men’s short-course track event, Horsfield was expected to improve on that performance in his main event, the elite men’s cross-country race.
However, his efforts were cut short as he experienced a mechanical issue with his chain early in the race, which caused him to miss part of the course and led to him being disqualified.
Despite his disappointing conclusion to the championships, which served as a qualifier for the Pan Am Games, in Chile, in October, the Bermuda Bicycle Association were still full of praise for Horsfield’s endeavours in South America.
“We're proud to have had Robin Horsfield representing Bermuda at the Pan American MTB Championships,” the statement said on Facebook.
“We're grateful to the event organisers and the thousands of fans who came out to support the athletes, and we know that Robin gave it his all in the face of adversity.
“The point of the entering the short track event was to get Robin's legs going with the best in the world and remind him of the speed, as it's been three years since his last appearance at this level.
“Unfortunately, Robin and all riders chasing the main pack were pulled from the race after a crash on lap two that held them back. Robin was assigned 62nd placing. While this is not the result we were hoping for, we are proud of Robin's perseverance and determination.
“Mechanical issues [cross-country race] can happen to anyone, but we have no doubt that Robin will continue to train hard and represent Bermuda with pride in future events.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service