Town Hall meeting to help save West End Primary School
A community town hall meeting has been called to try and find ways to save West End Primary School from closure.
Within hours of Government’s announcement over primary school closures, a statement was issued which said that a Committee to Save West End Primary School would be hosting a community town hall meeting to determine the next steps needed to “preserve the historic Sandys educational institution”.
A spokesperson for the Committee said: "Despite community outcry and a growing list of persons opposed to the government's plan to close our school, it appears that they (Government) will be moving forward with their plan to erase the history and legacy of a school that has contributed to the educational excellence of our community,"
The key issues laid out by the committee to justify the government changing course on their plan include:
* Expanding the criteria for the decision beyond physical elements
* Recognising that there is no size disadvantage between West End Primary and the government's preferred site at Somerset Primary
* The need to preserve the 153-year history of West End Primary School as the hub of the Sandys community and its legacy of:
* Hosting community organisations, such as the Brownies
* A multigenerational culture of mutual mentoring and support of community families and
* Consistently supporting our community businesses.
* A community source of pride for overcoming generations of government neglect and racism
The spokesperson added: "Preserving West End Primary doesn't merely honour our proud legacy but will ensure that its vision of empowering all our Sandys children never dies.“
Anyone interested in working to protect West End Primary School is encouraged to attend the community meeting at the Somerset Cricket Club this Sunday starting at 7pm. Covid protocols will be observed.
In the event of rain, the meeting will be held on Monday at the Somerset Cricket Club starting at 7pm.
The spokesperson added: “To further express your support for our cause we encourage you to sign our petition online www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-west-end-primary-school.html.”