Coding centre and Government send volunteer on design course
A volunteer who taught students about robotics has been praised after completing a design programme offered in collaboration with the Department of Workforce Development.
The department, in partnership with ConnecTech Coding, Bermuda's first technology training centre, provided Rian Michelsen with the opportunity to take part in a user experience design immersive course by General Assembly.
The full-time 12-week course offered a foundation of knowledge and skills in user interface, including research, testing and prototyping.
It included a mixture of lectures, workshops and hands-on experience, with participants tackling an e-commerce website redesign, a digital product based on a design prompt, individual student portfolios and their capstone project — a multi-part assignment that brings together what has been learnt.
Coral Wells, the chief executive and founder of ConnecTech, said: "Rian Michelsen has volunteered at ConnecTech since last summer, helping students with our robotics programme.
“Having seen his commitment to the programme, and while workforce development training officers will continue to supervise, I am excited that Rian will officially join us as a trainee teaching the next generation of IT specialists in the field of user experience design.
“Rian brings a fresh, creative perspective and approach to the team, and we look forward to bringing his ideas to fruition.”
Jason Hayward, the Minister of Economy and Labour, said: "Examples such as this strengthen my resolve and commitment to the Youth Employment Strategy's success.
“We must continue providing our youth with training, experiences and opportunities that help them secure employment and succeed in life."
Anyone who would like information on apprenticeships and businesses that wish to register an apprentice or trainee can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 297-7714 to speak with a training and assessment officer.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service