St George’s gears up for onion drop on New Year’s Eve
The traditional onion drop in King’s Square, St George’s will return to bring in 2023 on New Year’s Eve.
Organisers said plans were well under way for a memorable and enjoyable event.
Mayor George Dowling III said: "We are elated to see the return of the town’s most beloved tradition of bringing in the new year as a community celebrating with the hope for prosperity that will deliver good tidings to family, friends and our precious island of Bermuda.
Following the pandemic, Mr Dowling said: “2022 was an important milestone for the Town of St George – it was the first time we could openly welcome family and friends into our community.
“As we look forward, I welcome all of Bermuda to come to St George’s on New Year’s Eve to bring in the new year.”
For those arriving early, the Corporation of St George’s has a light display on York Street, Water Street and the bridge on to Ordnance Island.
Restaurants will be open and serving traditional Bermudian fare.
Candy-Lee Foggo, town manager, added: "This is a free event for all to enjoy. The corporation has worked hard to ensure that we invest in our community programmes so that residents have an enjoyable living experience in a Unesco World Heritage Site.
“Free parking is available at Tiger Bay car park. The entertainment is being underwritten by a special fund set aside for this specific purpose – hosting of major heritage-related events we call Signature Events.
“Earlier this year, we held the Cup Match Extravaganza to much success. Our residents value our traditions and we intend to keep them even as we incorporate new events like the St George’s Seafood Festival, done in collaboration with the Bermuda Tourism Authority, which was a huge success.”
The event runs from 8.30pm to 12.30am in King’s Square.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service