Dock built by locals at Rocky Hill torn down
A dock built at a St George's park without planning permission has been torn down by the Government.
Island Construction began demolishing the estimated $30,000 build at Rocky Hill yesterday morning and expected it to be completed by the end of the day.
Several police officers were present at the scene as the work was carried out.
The dock was built late last month, with those involved insisting it was necessary because the one that had been there had fallen into disrepair and become a safety hazard.
The workers acknowledged that they did not receive planning permission for the project, but said it would benefit the community.
One of the people behind the project estimated that between materials and labour, about $30,000 had been spent.
He said of yesterday's demolition: “That's the fastest I have ever seen government workers work.
“I wish they would work like that all the time on things that are of greater issue.”
The Government passed legislation in 2018 aimed at cracking down on illegal building with maximum penalties of $100,000 for contractors and landowners who breach planning rules.
Asked about the decision to destroy the dock and whether restitution would be sought for the costs, a government spokesman said a statement about “foreshore infractions” would be made on Friday by Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch, the Minister of Public Works.
A police spokesman said: “The police presence at the removal of the dock at Rocky Hill Park, St George's, was simply to ensure there was no breach of the peace during the exercise.”