More controversy over unauthorised development in Pembroke area – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

More controversy over unauthorised development in Pembroke area

Rubble piled by an area of cleared woodland at a Government property in Spanish Point designated as park land (Photograph supplied)

A piece of land owned by the Government at the centre of a land dispute is the scene of an unauthorised developed on land designated as a national park, an area resident has claimed.

The area in Spanish Point, Pembroke, near the Mill Creek inlet, was the scene of land grab accusations last week after an overgrown area was cleared – which sparked an accusation from Mike Corea of Controversy Lane that the Government had cut into his property.

Another resident in the area, who asked not to be named, said other work was under way in a nearby area, which has been owned by the Government since 1954 and is zoned as parkland.

The resident said that nearby Tulo Lane, a longstanding site of a Government nursery in Tulo Valley, had also had work done.

The resident said Tulo Lane, a right of way for pedestrian access, had been blocked with rubble left from a development by a member of the public.

He said a quarter of an acre had been “completely cleared of trees” in a section of woodland set aside as Mill Creek Park.

He added: “It is to the immediate south of Tulo Lane and is zoned as national park.

“I understand from speaking to Government that an unidentified third party was hoping to lease the land from Government for a palm tree nursery, but they did not have permission to proceed nor necessary planning approvals or building permits.”

But he said the would-be developer had “completely blocked” Tulo Lane with rubble.

He added trailer, along with oil and water tanks, appeared to abandoned at the site.

The man said: “Government will now need to clean up this site and make good.”

The cleared stretch of land lies a distance from Controversy Lane, and the resident said it did not appear to be connected with the woodland being cleared alongside Mr Corea’s property.

Mike Corea, a member of a family that won a court case against the Government in 1994 after his father, Henry Corea, was accused of illegal occupation of the land, earlier said the Government had encroached on his property.

The family’s court victory is how Controversy Lane got its name.

Mr Corea told The Royal Gazette last Monday he had not been informed told the reason for the land clearance next to his home.

The public works ministry did not respond to a request for comment.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published June 22, 2021 at 7:57 am (Updated June 22, 2021 at 7:58 am)

More controversy over unauthorised development in Pembroke area

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon