Plans for takeout, shop, bar and restaurant at Horseshoe Bay unveiled – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Plans for takeout, shop, bar and restaurant at Horseshoe Bay unveiled

First Prev 1 2 3 Next Last
Plans for the redeveloped concessions area at Horseshoe Bay (Image supplied)
Plans for the ground floor of the redeveloped Horseshoe Bay concessions area (Image supplied)
Plans for the redeveloped concessions area at Horseshoe Bay (Image supplied)

Plans to expand the concession at Horseshoe Bay with new stores and restaurants have been submitted to planners.

Horseshoe Bay Live has proposed extensive renovations to the existing facilities at the western side of the Southampton beach to create a three-storey, mixed use commercial building.

The ground floor would contain a new lobby, restaurant, retail shop and takeout restaurant in addition to storage areas, bathrooms, a furniture rental shop and a break room for lifeguards.

The building’s first floor would include a new restaurant and balcony with a bar and entertainment space, along with a kitchen and offices.

The top floor would feature a bar and lounge, along with roof balconies, bathrooms and storage spaces.

The Government announced last November that Horseshoe Bay Live – run by Delton Ebbin, Carl Vincent and Devon Simons – had won a five-year lease at the Horseshoe Bay site, with the chance to renew for another five or ten years.

But Mr Vincent told The Royal Gazette he was no longer involved in the project.

Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch, the Minister of Public Works, said the company was selected from a field of 16 bidders through an RFP process.

Colonel Burch said: “The existing facility is an aged and considered substandard for Bermuda’s prime tourism destination.

“Therefore, the expiry of the existing lease has presented an opportunity to have an old facility redeveloped and improved for the next leasing period to improve the tourism experience.”

It was also announced that HBL would take over management of the site from Chops Ltd on April 1 and that a $3.8 million redevelopment project – funded by the leaseholders – was in the pipeline.

Mr Ebbin, a Bermudian veteran of the hospitality industry, said the goal was to provide a luxury experience to guests that incorporated technology to allow delivery on the beach.

Work at the site was hoped to begin in November and to be completed for the 2022 tourist season.

The redevelopment plan was not the first for the Horseshoe Bay concessions area.

The Government announced in 2011 that South Shore Hospitality Group was set to give the facilities a multimillion dollar upgrade.

But by 2013 the plans had been scrapped and SSHG said they would not be involved in the project.

Some upgrades to the site were made in 2016 after Chops Ltd won a five year lease for the site and improvements to the Horseshoe Bay car park were carried out in 2017.

You must be registered or signed-in to post comment or to vote.

Published September 20, 2021 at 1:51 pm (Updated September 20, 2021 at 1:52 pm)

Plans for takeout, shop, bar and restaurant at Horseshoe Bay unveiled

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon