Sail training centre at park approved by planners
A plan to use a waterside park for sail training has been approved by the Department of Planning.
The application, submitted by Adwick Planning on behalf of the non-profit USail, said Harrington Sound had historically been used as a “safe and protected” sail training area.
The application said the group had earlier used the park to launch dinghies and had stored the boats on the opposite side of Harrington Sound Road – however they later learnt that planning permission was required.
The application sparked an objection from the Best Settlement – a nearby property owner.
But the Department of Parks backed the plan provided that the work was restricted to the eastern side of the property and no bay grape trees were removed.
Adwick Planning, in response to the objection, said USail’s use of the park would help to deter antisocial behaviour and help to keep the park clean.
The firm added that parking had not been a problem when the park was used for sail training in 2019 and 2000 as most of the participants were dropped off and picked up.
They added: “The activity centre will reintroduce a popular programme to this park and one that is complementary to the amenity purpose of the park and other park users.
“The facility will be managed in a careful and environmentally conscious manner by USail and the proposals have been approved by the National Parks Commission.”
USail applied last November for permission to install a storage shed and portable toilets at Harrington Sound Park, on Harrington Sound Road in Hamilton Parish, and to use the area as a base for sailing in the sound.
The application proposed an 8ft by 20ft storage shed close to the park’s eastern edge and two free-standing portable toilets which would be serviced by USail. The Development Applications Board backed the proposal at a meeting last week based on the recommendations of planning officials.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service