Stop order on Shark Hole project lifted as building conditions met
A stop notice on work on a home in Shark Hole has been lifted, the Government said today.
The notice was originally filed on July 22 by the Department of Planning relating to a property on Harrington Sound Road, in the Shark Hole area.
A press statement posted on the Government's website today said: “On concluding the investigation into this project, the Department of Planning and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources worked with the applicant to remediate any damage to the best extent possible and put in place additional conditions for the construction site to ensure all requirements were met and followed.
“The Ministry of Home Affairs can confirm that both departments are satisfied that the agent has complied with the proposed conditions and the stop work notice has been lifted.”
The statement added that the ministry said the initial planning approval listed 13 conditions that addressed the site’s environmentally sensitive nature. “They were designed to mitigate potential adverse environmental impacts during construction.
“Subsequently, the issued building permit contained seven additional conditions reiterating all the planning conditions to be adhered to during construction.” The conditions were not listed in the press statement.
It continued: “After consultation with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, the stop work notice was issued, as a number of the conditions required their specific approval and/or attendance at the site.
“Additionally, various sections of the conservation management plan and approved landscape plan were not followed. The DENR has also now approved the construction environmental management plan and excavation management plan as required before work begins at the site.”
The project on land that used to be zoned as coastal reserve had angered environmental groups who said the development amounted to the “desecration of Bermuda’s green spaces”.
The Shark Hole site was rezoned as residential through the Tucker’s Point special development order more than ten years ago.
Before the granting of the 2011 SDO, the land was given additional protection as a cave and water resources protection area.
While no caves were identified in an initial geophysical report, the planning department said work would discontinue if any were discovered.
Earlier this year, one of the owners of the site, Gillian Pincher, said all involved in the project cared for Bermuda and its environment.
Ms Pincher, along with Bernard Yanovich, submitted plans to develop the four-bedroom house last year.
Ms Pincher recently told The Royal Gazette: “Everyone involved in this project cares very much for Bermuda and its very unique environment.
“We have, at all times, done everything asked of us to comply with the relevant rules and regulations and will continue to do so.
“We have been issued a building permit and the building permit number is displayed on site.”