Project starts to study trash build up in Harrington Sound
A two-year scheme to study trash build up across Harrington Sound has kicked off with “great success”, the head of the project said.
Project Sound Solution, a joint initiative between the Bermuda Zoological Society and Keep Bermuda Beautiful, will conduct clean-ups to study the waste and determine the best way to keep the area clean.
Andrew Rawson, who was hired to spearhead the project, said: “The first two clean-ups of this new BZS project were a huge success.
“Thanks to the extraordinary positive energy of all those patrolling land and sea, we collected and properly disposed of thousands of pounds of garbage.”
He added: “We are overwhelmed with results, and the positive impact they will surely have on the environment.
“Our goal is to remove existing garbage and help create awareness and participation within the community.”
Project Sound Solution will study the types and amount of trash collected around Harrington Sound and Flatts Village.
It will also identify any hotspots for garbage and how fast it collects, as well as whether the waste is domestic or foreign.
The data will be brought to the Ocean Conservancy and the International Coast Clean-up Records to track global trends in ocean pollution.
The project was launched on February 11 when Mr Rawson led more than 20 volunteers from BZS and the Bermuda Museum Aquarium and Zoo in the clean-up.
Snorkellers and shoreline volunteers collected 3,689lb of garbage during the first two clean-ups, with the majority of it being food packaging and boating materials.
Mr Rawson said that Dingle’s Bay in Hamilton Parish was the most heavily polluted area because winds pushed debris into that area of the Sound.
The next clean-up is scheduled for May, with volunteers hoping to clean Shark Hole.
• To volunteer for Project Sound Solution and other BZS and BAMZ projects, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the Call to Action List and be notified of volunteer opportunities.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service