CCTV footage being reviewed in search for storm drain vandals
Police were yesterday checking CCTV footage after vandals removed at least 30 storm drain covers in Hamilton on Sunday night.
A spokeswoman for the City of Hamilton said that the covers were found “beside the drain, across the street and even in the bushes”.
She added that, while it was unknown how many people were involved, some of the drain covers weighed about 70 pounds and might have required more than one person to move.
The vandalism was discovered at around 7am today when city workers noticed the covers had been taken off several drains.
The areas hit included Church Street, Par-la-Ville Road, Parliament Street and Dundonald Street.
The Corporation of Hamilton alerted motorists to the potential danger while a team of about 12 city workers moved the discarded covers back into place.
The spokeswoman said the uncovered storm drains could cause injuries to pedestrians who fell into them or damage vehicles that drove over them. She said CCTV footage was being reviewed to identify the vandals.
Dwayne Caines, the chief operating officer for the Corporation of Hamilton, said in an interview with the Bermuda Broadcasting Company that vandals “spared no aspect of the city”.
He added that the drains were easier to fix than they were to remove and suggested that the vandalism could have been an all-night process.
Mr Caines said: “It very strange, indeed, for someone to have that level of time to do such an unnecessary act.”
He added: “What I would say is the person who did this was dedicated to causing or doing mischief.
“It was a very protracted act and the individual had time on their hands to do this.”
Police said an investigation into the incidents had been launched and appealed for witnesses.
A spokesman added: “Officers are currently reviewing CCTV images from the areas where the grates were dislodged, with the aim of obtaining evidence that could lead to the identification of any suspects.”