Harbour Road users to face two separate lane closures
Road users on Harbour Road will face two sets of lane closures when repairs start on a second area of wall later this month.
The news came as the Ministry of Public Works announced that work on the road between Lover’s Lane and Highwood Lane in Paget was resuming yesterday.
The ministry added that repair works on another section of Harbour Road would start next Saturday and cause more traffic disruption.
Both projects are expected to be finished in January.
A spokesman for the ministry said work on the Lover’s Lane section would begin again after a dispute with a local resident, which caused work to grind to a halt, was resolved.
Wayne Furbert, the acting public works minister, said: “I really want to thank the motoring public for their patience and understanding while the necessary talks with an area resident were completed.
“Having visited the road junctions myself to get a sense for how the public have been impacted, I am pleased that the final phase of this project is nearing its completion.”
The spokesman added that traffic in the area would be single lane until the expected completion date of the work at the end of next January.
Work to repair another damaged section of wall on Harbour Road is scheduled to begin later this month.
The Ministry of Public Works said work would be carried out on Harbour Road, near the junction with Belmont Road, and that the area would be closed to traffic on December 18 and 19.
A single lane will be reopened between December 20 and January 8, when the work is expected to be finished.
A spokesman said: “The public is advised to avoid this section of Harbour Road in Warwick between Belmont Road and Keith Hall Road and to use detour routes via Middle Road and South Road.
“Traffic controls will be under the direction of Lighthouse Construction representatives and will be managed through traffic control temporary signals and signage.
“The Ministry of Public Works wishes to encourage the full co-operation of the public and apologises for any inconvenience that may result.”
Work to repair the Lover’s Lane stretch of wall on Harbour Road was announced in late May and started in the first week of June.
The work was scheduled for completion on August 6, but continued past the expected end date.
The work meant traffic flow was limited to a single lane apart from September 28, when both lanes were closed so concrete could be poured.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Public Works said in late October that the project had suffered “significant delays” because of long stretches of bad weather and problems caused by tides.
The spokesman added that a property dispute had complicated the situation, although no details on the dispute were released.
The Government said that the work was budgeted at $250,000, and that $160,000 had been spent by mid-November.
The One Bermuda Alliance criticised the Government’s handling of the project and said the property dispute should have been resolved before work started.